Dangling "_" in identifiers: Why is it bad?

  • klaus
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20 10:09 AM
      Hi Doug,

      I was curious as to why using "_" in identifiers (e.g. to convey that a function might be private as opposed to be publicly accessible) is considered bad practice?

      We are currently dealing with legacy code in our project and found that the previous developers have used "_" quite frequently. It can also be spotted in YUI code, in the RTE Editor for example:

      http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/docs/editor.js.html

      Would be great if you could elaborate as to why you think this is something to avoid.

      Thanks,
      Klaus