Re: [jslint] Re: option.es5

  • Michael Lorton
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 6, 2010
      > ES3 does not allow the trailing comma, so IE is correct when it rejects
      it.

      Distinguo: ES3 does not allow the trailing comma, so Internet Explorer is correct TO reject
      it.

      IE does the right thing the wrong way. It rejects the comma and gives an ambiguous message and the line number BUT NOT THE FILE NAME.

      Even assuming Microsoft employees should otherwise be allowed to live, this transgression (perversely maintained through every version of IE) is alone grounds for hunting them all down with dogs and shotguns.

      M.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 6, 2010
        > Even assuming Microsoft employees should otherwise be allowed to live, this transgression (perversely maintained through every version of IE) is alone grounds for hunting them all down with dogs and shotguns.

        You are way out of line. Tone it down.
      • Simon Kenyon Shepard
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 7, 2010
          So, would I be correct in surmising that this change from ES3 to ES5 to
          allow the trailing comma is for developer convenience as in the
          aforementioned reordering example?

          Out of curiosity are there any other reasons or examples where this would
          come in useful?

          On 6 April 2010 21:48, Michael Lorton <mlorton@...> wrote:

          > > ES3 does not allow the trailing comma, so IE is correct when it rejects
          > it.
          >
          > Distinguo: ES3 does not allow the trailing comma, so Internet Explorer is
          > correct TO reject
          > it.
          >
          > IE does the right thing the wrong way. It rejects the comma and gives an
          > ambiguous message and the line number BUT NOT THE FILE NAME.
          >
          > Even assuming Microsoft employees should otherwise be allowed to live, this
          > transgression (perversely maintained through every version of IE) is alone
          > grounds for hunting them all down with dogs and shotguns.
          >
          > M.

          "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"

        • Michael Lorton
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 7, 2010
            It makes reordering easier, editing the list less error-prone, and generating Javascript from data a little simpler. Overall, probably a good thing.

            M.