[jslint] Re: option.es5

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 6, 2010
      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Rob Richardson <erobrich@...> wrote:

      > I can see in certain circumstances that trailing commas could be deemed acceptable, though I'm still of the mindset that this is bad form in most JavaScript contexts. I'm failing to see how opting into this practice is linked to ES5 compatibility though. Does ES5 specifically dictate that trailing commas are acceptable?

      ES3 does not allow the trailing comma, so IE is correct when it rejects it.

      ES5 allows but does not require the trailing comma.

      There is often confusion between separators and terminators. Commas are separators. Semicolons are terminators.
    • Michael Lorton
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 6, 2010
        > ES3 does not allow the trailing comma, so IE is correct when it rejects
        it.

        Distinguo: ES3 does not allow the trailing comma, so Internet Explorer is correct TO reject
        it.

        IE does the right thing the wrong way. It rejects the comma and gives an ambiguous message and the line number BUT NOT THE FILE NAME.

        Even assuming Microsoft employees should otherwise be allowed to live, this transgression (perversely maintained through every version of IE) is alone grounds for hunting them all down with dogs and shotguns.

        M.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 6, 2010
          > Even assuming Microsoft employees should otherwise be allowed to live, this transgression (perversely maintained through every version of IE) is alone grounds for hunting them all down with dogs and shotguns.

          You are way out of line. Tone it down.
        • Simon Kenyon Shepard
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 7, 2010
            So, would I be correct in surmising that this change from ES3 to ES5 to
            allow the trailing comma is for developer convenience as in the
            aforementioned reordering example?

            Out of curiosity are there any other reasons or examples where this would
            come in useful?

            On 6 April 2010 21:48, Michael Lorton <mlorton@...> wrote:

            > > ES3 does not allow the trailing comma, so IE is correct when it rejects
            > it.
            >
            > Distinguo: ES3 does not allow the trailing comma, so Internet Explorer is
            > correct TO reject
            > it.
            >
            > IE does the right thing the wrong way. It rejects the comma and gives an
            > ambiguous message and the line number BUT NOT THE FILE NAME.
            >
            > Even assuming Microsoft employees should otherwise be allowed to live, this
            > transgression (perversely maintained through every version of IE) is alone
            > grounds for hunting them all down with dogs and shotguns.
            >
            > M.

            "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"

          • Michael Lorton
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 7, 2010
              It makes reordering easier, editing the list less error-prone, and generating Javascript from data a little simpler. Overall, probably a good thing.

              M.