Re: [jslint] Re: Require Quoted Keys in Objects

  • Michael Mikowski
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 10 9:52 PM
      I stand corrected; YUI compressor 2.4.2 actually throws an exception when using an unquoted reserved word as a key.

      We never see this because our builds obfuscate keys before YUI Compressor is run.

      In any case, jslint and YUI compressor both catch the problem.

      Cheers, Mike

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 17 3:24 PM
        Clearly, JSlint is for uncompressed, unobfuscated code.

        It's meant to catch things in a development environment. To suggest using a compressor as a tool for validating good code is a bit silly.

        Certainly, you couldn't effectively debug and optimise code in a dev environment if it was already compressed and obfuscated.

        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "z_mikowski" <z_mikowski@...> wrote:

        > If your team uses a build process with a good compressor (e.g. YUI Compressor), it will quote keys as necessary.
        >
        > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "davehamptonusa" <david.hampton@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Many browsers barf when an object key is a reserved word. Sure, they
        > > should be able to figure out that we are in an object.... But IE
        > > can't.Example:
        > > var foop = { class: 'barley', style: 'ale'}; //Barfs in ie...
        > > var foop = { 'class': 'barley', 'style': 'ale'}; //Happy in all
        > > environements
        > > As Such, I require my team to quote all object keys. As much as I think
        > > this should be a Good Parts requirement, I'll settle for a toggle in
        > > JSLint...
        > > Any thoughts?

      • Michael Mikowski
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 17 5:44 PM
          I gave you a data point, not a suggestion for workflow. Use it as you wish. Oh, and you're welcome.