' ' was used before it was defined

  • montago_2004
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 27 1:59 AM
      doit();

      function doit(){ }

      //-----

      In ANSI-C its crusial that functions are defined before they are used
      - either 'physically' or by a shadow in the head-section.

      C-compilers wasn't smart enough to look ahead, and thus wouldn't
      compile unless functions came before Main...

      In Javascript, the compiler/parser IS smart, and thus it look ahead
      all files and all script, to find function definitions.

      therefore i find it somewhat annoying to be error'ed about the
      chronology of my code ... :-)

      either it should be an option, or it shouldn't be checked, because
      such errors are irrelevant in a modern language/parser-environment
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 27 4:20 AM
        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "montago_2004" <mdk@...> wrote:

        > doit();
        >
        > function doit(){ }
        >

        > //-----
        >
        > In ANSI-C its crusial that functions are defined before they are used
        > - either 'physically' or by a shadow in the head-section.
        >
        > C-compilers wasn't smart enough to look ahead, and thus wouldn't
        > compile unless functions came before Main...
        >

        > In Javascript, the compiler/parser IS smart, and thus it look ahead
        > all files and all script, to find function definitions.
        >
        > therefore i find it somewhat annoying to be error'ed about the
        > chronology of my code ... :-)

        I recommend that you heed JSLint's advice and declare your functions
        before you call them.
      • re miya
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 27 5:11 AM
          Yes, this is a good advice.

          It saves a lot of headaches.

          > In ANSI-C its crusial that functions are defined before they are used
          > - either 'physically' or by a shadow in the head-section.
          >
          > C-compilers wasn't smart enough to look ahead, and thus wouldn't
          > compile unless functions came before Main...
          >

          > In Javascript, the compiler/parser IS smart, and thus it look ahead
          > all files and all script, to find function definitions.
          >
          > therefore i find it somewhat annoying to be error'ed about the
          > chronology of my code ... :-)

          I recommend that you heed JSLint's advice and declare your functions
          before you call them.

          Not happy with your email address?
          Get the one youreally want - millions of new email addresses available now at Yahoo!
        • montago_2004
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 27 2:18 PM

            > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "montago_2004" mdk@ wrote:
            > >
            > > doit();
            > >
            > > function doit(){ }
            > >

            > > //-----
            > >
            > > In ANSI-C its crusial that functions are defined before they are used
            > > - either 'physically' or by a shadow in the head-section.
            > >
            > > C-compilers wasn't smart enough to look ahead, and thus wouldn't
            > > compile unless functions came before Main...
            > >

            > > In Javascript, the compiler/parser IS smart, and thus it look ahead
            > > all files and all script, to find function definitions.
            > >
            > > therefore i find it somewhat annoying to be error'ed about the
            > > chronology of my code ... :-)
            >
            > I recommend that you heed JSLint's advice and declare your functions
            > before you call them.

            I guess you are a teacher...   or a blast from the past B-)
          • osteocosmosis
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 28 2:24 AM
              --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, re miya <remiya_ws@...> wrote:

              > Yes, this is a good advice.
              >
              > It saves a lot of headaches.

              I've always assumed the headaches it saves are extended look-ups of
              the function that wastes time. Is this right? Or does it combat
              namespace pollution?
            • Re Miya
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 28 11:46 AM
                --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "osteocosmosis" <fredistic@...> wrote:

                > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, re miya <remiya_ws@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Yes, this is a good advice.
                > >
                > > It saves a lot of headaches.
                >
                > I've always assumed the headaches it saves are extended look-ups of
                > the function that wastes time. Is this right? Or does it combat
                > namespace pollution?

                Waste of time? I never thought about this.