Re: [jslint] no comments before html root element?

  • Mark Volkmann
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 12, 2010
      I don't want to place a comment above the DOCTYPE. This is what I want to
      do:

      <!DOCTYPE html whatever>
      <!-- some comment -->
      <head>
      <title>some title</title>
      </head>

      You are asking me to just trust you because you say you have seen this cause
      a problem in a past project but it seems that you can't demonstrate the
      issue or point to any "standard" that says its a bad idea. I guess I'm not
      enough of a trusting person. ;-) I'd really like to see an example of the
      problem that occurs when a comment is placed between the DOCTYPE and the
      html root element.

      --
      R. Mark Volkmann
      Object Computing, Inc.

    • Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR USARC
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 12, 2010
        Not exactly. I am saying I have seen in past projects how this condition is potentially problematic when the technology is pushed beyond current implementations. In other words, there are use cases, not previously considered in the most current DOM specification, that when applied in an instance appear to be problematic in this condition.

        > I guess I'm not enough of a trusting person.
        I can demonstrate this potentially problematic condition, but I have already mentioned I will not harm you with such a demonstration. If such harm is of no concern then simply contact the legal department of Sabre Holdings and ask permission to examine IP attached to my name. I do not own the IP and you must volunteer to an administering party to receive disclosure. Otherwise you would have to find the related contents online and examine them independently of any assistance from me.

        At this point I believe the discussion has the field of association to the JSLint tool and if the discussion is to continue then I ask that you please contact me directly and only after contacting my legal representatives. Until such I cannot continue this conversation.