DOCTYPE in HTML

  • Mark Volkmann
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2010
      Is there a way to get JSLint to approve of a <!DOCTYPE ...> at the top of a .html file that specifies the document is XHTML?
    • Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR USARC
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7, 2010
        Mark,

        The standard XHTML 1.0 Strict and XHTML 1.1 doctypes both work for me in the JSLint tool, however the tool inappropriately outputs a missing '>' error when it encounters the xml:lang attribute.

        <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
        <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML .1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

        I will not discuss the differences between XHTML 1.0 and XHTML 1.1 and their relationships to SGML or XML and why/how they differ.

        Austin

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 7, 2010
          Correction to XHTML 1.1 doctype:
          <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">