Re: Release notes for each edition?

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 20, 2010
      Hi Harry,

      Thanks for the info. I can confirm that I've never needed to modify the jslint file itself either, the plugin is just a user interface that allows you to configure the options that JSLint has, so any new additions to JSLint would require a slight update to the UI part of the plugin. Everything else would, as you rightly point out, not require any UI changes, and would be simply a case of replacing the JSLint file that the UI communicates with.

      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Harry Whitfield <g7awz@...> wrote:

      > On 20 Jan 2010, at 15:48:39, Andrew wrote:
      >
      > > Hi, I've just been to the JSLint site again today and noticed a new edition date. I wonder if there are any blog posts, notifications or release notes that accompany each edition, to identify what's changed and why?
      > >
      > > The reason I ask this is because I'm using a visual studio plugin called JSLint.VS, (http://jslint.codeplex.com/), which enables you to integrate JSLint as part of the build process and give an error report, or validate single files etc, but the downloadable version uses an older edition of JSLint.
      > >
      > > I've subsequently modified my copy of the source to include a more recent edition of JSLint, but I did this last year, and it has now changed again, so I would like to know what changed and why, so that I can determine whether the change requires a critical update to the plugin. :)
      >
      > I have a Yahoo! Widget (called Widget Tester) which automatically makes use of the latest edition of JSLint, so I hope the following comments may be of help to you.
      >
      > I never alter the code of jslint.js itself. Any alterations are made to the code which calls it.
      >
      > My Widget downloads the current edition of JSLint no more than once a day, to limit traffic on the server. The Widget then makes use of the downloaded version.
      >
      > Normally, no changes are required to the Widget or to the code that calls the JSLint module.
      >
      > When Douglas announces new features or additions or changes to the options on this forum, it may be necessary for me to make a new version of the calling program and to update the Widget.
      >
      > Widget Tester can be found at http://tinyurl.com/5unocx . You can pull it apart using any unzip program to see how it works.
      >
      > The only code that I normally have to change is in the file lint.js and in the Widget Tester.kon file (when options(i.e. preferences) have to be changed).
      >
      > Harry.

    • Dominic Mitchell
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 21, 2010
        A lack of release notes is why I started mirroring the jslint web site. At
        least you stand a chance of figuring out what's changed between versions, by
        looking at the diffs.

        http://github.com/happygiraffe/jslint.com-mirror

        Please don't take this as a criticism of jslint itself. It's still a
        wonderful tool.

        -Dom

        On 20 Jan 2010 21:19, "Andrew" <adjohns@...> wrote:

        Hi Harry,

        Thanks for the info. I can confirm that I've never needed to modify the
        jslint file itself either, the plugin is just a user interface that allows
        you to configure the options that JSLint has, so any new additions to JSLint
        would require a slight update to the UI part of the plugin. Everything else
        would, as you rightly point out, not require any UI changes, and would be
        simply a case of replacing the JSLint file that the UI communicates with.

        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Harry Whitfield <g7awz@...> wrote: > > >
        On 20 Jan 2010, at 1...

      • Ger Hobbelt
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 21, 2010
          Thank you for that!

          I had a semi-manual process that does something similar for several OS
          projects that I 'track' (including jslint) and a look at a diff plus recall
          about subjects that came along on the ML is generally more than enough to
          evaluate the changes.

          I see the full-auto update script is in the repository too; add +1 happy
          customer.
          (It's just a few lines, but somehow I never bothered to write such a thing
          myself. Now that I got yours...)

          Cheers,

          Ger

          And also, naturally, a big thank you for jslint itself. It has saved my
          bacon a few times already.

          On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Dominic Mitchell <dom@...>wrote:

          > A lack of release notes is why I started mirroring the jslint web site. At
          > least you stand a chance of figuring out what's changed between versions,
          > by
          > looking at the diffs.
          >
          > http://github.com/happygiraffe/jslint.com-mirror
          >
          > Please don't take this as a criticism of jslint itself. It's still a
          > wonderful tool.
          >
          > -Dom

          Ger Hobbelt