Re: [jslint] Re: several JSLint errors I can't understand

  • Tom Byers
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
      Interesting and kind of a catch 22. If �kr�m substitutes let and const then
      he is using the syntax of the language he is working in against the spec,
      the very thing JSLint is meant to prevent.

      From what I read let is an additional way to define block scope so you could
      do some pre-processing that wrapped it in a function and split the variable
      assignments in the brackets out into separate variable assignments. This
      should let you test the scope correctly:

      var x = 5;
      var y = 0;

      let (x = x+10, y = 12) {
      print(x+y + "\n");
      }

      print((x + y) + "\n");

      as

      var x = 5;
      var y = 0;

      var let1 = function() {
      var x = x+10, y = 12;
      print(x+y + "\n");
      }

      print((x + y) + "\n");

      Print should also be commented.

      As for const, this provides something that standard Javascript doesn't
      currently support - proper constants. You can declare them as vars for the
      purposes of Linting but this JSLint will not actually check that your
      developers are staying true to the syntax.

      https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference/Statements/const

      Tom

      p.s. don't worry to Simon, just trying to get this interesting discussion
      back on track :)

      On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> wrote:

      > Hi Harry,
      >
      > Thank you for your helpful thoughts. But since I am a tester on a mozilla
      > extension project and those js code I am testing meant to run on mozilla
      > javascript engine, I can not ask developers to use standard javascript
      > instead of mozilla one. I must test their code, I hope JSLint can help me a
      > little bit.
      >
      > You are right, now I also think treating let and const as var is a bad
      > idea,
      > since they are not quiet similar and also should be tested as a way they
      > should be tested. So I like Tom's idea, add an Mozilla option since this is
      > also quiet popular version of JS. If that could be done I will happy to
      > contribute.
      >
      > Br,
      > �kr�m
      >
      > On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Harry Whitfield <g7awz@...<g7awz%40btinternet.com>
      > >wrote:
      >

      > > �kr�m,
      > >
      > > Instead of trying to modify JSLint to accept non-standard JavaScript, you
      > > could consider altering the JavaScript code to make it conform to the
      > > standard.
      > > That would be my preferred solution.
      > >
      > > Another possibility would be to pre-process the code to replace "let" and
      > > "const" by "var". It would also be fairly easy to modify JSLint or its
      > file
      > > input code to do that.
      > > However, if I remember correctly, the semantics of "let" is not quite the
      > > same as that of "var".
      > >
      > > Harry.

    • Morgaut Alexandre Louis Marc
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
        I saw in previous posts kind of same "assume" request for some ssjs
        environment.

        I think it might be harder to assume "mozilla" or "commonjs" Than
        "browser" and "rhino" Because Mozilla JavaScript has more commands,
        and CommonJS has more types whereas the lastest only have builtin
        objects and methods which CAN be declared to JSLint as globals.

        Mozilla JavaScript is a différent language version, as are
        ActionScript and JScript. All of them should support ecmascript
        specification which is what JSlint is testing

        Asking to JSlint to support the specificities of main JavaScript
        implentation could be a powerfull option, it just be a little more
        complicated.

        It looks like one of the goals of JSLint was to help writing safe and
        portable codes, which explain the limitation to ECMAScript.

        So what about choosing the version number of the implementation we
        want to assume (Well I could like it)

        But sure, I'd love assume "server" instead of "rhino"

        Alexandre

        From iPhone

        Le 7 janv. 2010 à 14:18, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> a écrit :

        > Hi Harry,
        >
        > Thank you for your helpful thoughts. But since I am a tester on a
        > mozilla
        > extension project and those js code I am testing meant to run on
        > mozilla
        > javascript engine, I can not ask developers to use standard javascript
        > instead of mozilla one. I must test their code, I hope JSLint can
        > help me a
        > little bit.
        >
        > You are right, now I also think treating let and const as var is a
        > bad idea,
        > since they are not quiet similar and also should be tested as a way
        > they
        > should be tested. So I like Tom's idea, add an Mozilla option since
        > this is
        > also quiet popular version of JS. If that could be done I will happy
        > contribute.
        >
        > Br,
        > Äkräm
        >
        > On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Harry Whitfield
        > <g7awz@...>wrote:
        >

        > > Äkräm,
        > >
        > > Instead of trying to modify JSLint to accept non-standard
        > JavaScript, you
        > > could consider altering the JavaScript code to make it conform to
        > the
        > > standard.
        > > That would be my preferred solution.
        > >
        > > Another possibility would be to pre-process the code to replace
        > "let" and
        > > "const" by "var". It would also be fairly easy to modify JSLint or
        > its file
        > > input code to do that.
        > > However, if I remember correctly, the semantics of "let" is not
        > quite the
        > > same as that of "var".
        > >
        > > Harry.

      • Ekrem Tomur
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 8, 2010
          Can somebody send me well formatted version of jslint.js? I really do not
          want to waste my time on preprocessing since it is wrong and limited. I want
          to try to implement Mozilla option myself, at least the part I needed. But
          that jslint.js version annoying me since it is hard to read and change.

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 8, 2010
            --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> wrote:

            > Can somebody send me well formatted version of jslint.js? I really do not
            > want to waste my time on preprocessing since it is wrong and limited. I want
            > to try to implement Mozilla option myself, at least the part I needed. But
            > that jslint.js version annoying me since it is hard to read and change.

            Read the instructions. http://www.jslint.com/lint.html
          • Klemen Slavič
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 8, 2010
              Or try a code beautifier:

              http://jsbeautifier.org/

              2010/1/8 Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>

              > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com <jslint_com%40yahoogroups.com>, Ekrem
              > Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Can somebody send me well formatted version of jslint.js? I really do not
              > > want to waste my time on preprocessing since it is wrong and limited. I
              > want
              > > to try to implement Mozilla option myself, at least the part I needed.
              > But
              > > that jslint.js version annoying me since it is hard to read and change.
              >
              > Read the instructions. http://www.jslint.com/lint.html

            • Noah Sussman
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 8, 2010
                On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> wrote:

                > Can somebody send me well formatted version of jslint.js?

                How about

                http://www.jslint.com/fulljslint.js