Re: [jslint] Re: several JSLint errors I can't understand

  • Ekrem Tomur
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
      Hi Simon,

      Thanks for your suggestion. I do apologize if I am not being friendly enough
      to the list, it might be because of our cultural difference or my English
      skill or I am really a nerd who do not know how to get along with the
      people. I am really sorry if I hurt anybodies feelings here. I have tried to
      be kind and I will be more appreciated if you be more concise to point me
      which word or sentences I said have problem. Also I will read that book, it
      will be first book in my list which I will read in my free times.

      I still hope somebody can help me with my jslint problem, Thank you.

    • Tom Byers
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
        Not helpful to the group at all.

        Also not helping as the issue seems to be if there should be an option for
        working with Mozilla JS, an important question (especially bearing in mind
        the group has previously seen fit to at least think about including console
        as being valid).

        Äkräm has been keeping within the constraints of the language he is coding
        for (which is a type of JS).

        There's already quite a few 'assume' options (console, yahoo widget, rhino)
        so any *real* opinions on whether this should be put in or not?

        Tom

      • Simon Kenyon Shepard
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
          Sincere apologies if any offence was caused/time wasted, I agree with your
          position that it was not relevant to the topic at all.

          On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Tom Byers <tombaromba@...> wrote:

          > Not helpful to the group at all.
          >
          > Also not helping as the issue seems to be if there should be an option for
          > working with Mozilla JS, an important question (especially bearing in mind
          > the group has previously seen fit to at least think about including console
          > as being valid).
          >
          > �kr�m has been keeping within the constraints of the language he is coding
          > for (which is a type of JS).
          >
          > There's already quite a few 'assume' options (console, yahoo widget, rhino)
          > so any *real* opinions on whether this should be put in or not?
          >
          > Tom
          >
          > On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Simon Kenyon Shepard <
          >
          > simon.shepard@... <simon.shepard%40googlemail.com>> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi �kr�m,
          > >
          > > I cannot help you with your JSLint problem, but may I suggest the
          > following
          > > book:
          > >
          > > http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/1439167346/
          > >
          > > <http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/1439167346/
          > > >will
          > > help you with the larger issue at hand.
          > >

          > > On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...<ekrem.tomur%40gmail.com>
          > >
          > > wrote:
          > >

          > > > Hi,
          > > >
          > > > Can somebody propose me a small patch or hint, I would like to
          > implement
          > > > workaround as treat all 'let' and 'const' like 'var'. So in this way I
          > > can
          > > > suppress those errors which I won't fix. I am working on jslint.js
          > > 4.1.2009
          > > > version. The code is not well tabbed and difficult to understand.
          > > Somebody
          > > > please help.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks in advance.
          > > > �kr�m
          > > >

          > > > On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...<ekrem.tomur%40gmail.com>
          > > <ekrem.tomur%40gmail.com>>

          > Javascript.
          > > Is
          > > > requirements?

          > > mozilla

          > > douglas@... <douglas%40crockford.com><douglas%40crockford.com>

          > 40yahoogroups.com
          > > ><jslint_com%
          > > > 40yahoogroups.com>, Ekrem

          > > > const

          > > --
          >
          > > "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"

          "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"

        • Harry Whitfield
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
            Äkräm,

            Instead of trying to modify JSLint to accept non-standard JavaScript, you could consider altering the JavaScript code to make it conform to the standard.
            That would be my preferred solution.

            Another possibility would be to pre-process the code to replace "let" and "const" by "var". It would also be fairly easy to modify JSLint or its file input code to do that.
            However, if I remember correctly, the semantics of "let" is not quite the same as that of "var".

            Harry.
          • Ekrem Tomur
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
              Hi Harry,

              Thank you for your helpful thoughts. But since I am a tester on a mozilla
              extension project and those js code I am testing meant to run on mozilla
              javascript engine, I can not ask developers to use standard javascript
              instead of mozilla one. I must test their code, I hope JSLint can help me a
              little bit.

              You are right, now I also think treating let and const as var is a bad idea,
              since they are not quiet similar and also should be tested as a way they
              should be tested. So I like Tom's idea, add an Mozilla option since this is
              also quiet popular version of JS. If that could be done I will happy to
              contribute.

              Br,
              Äkräm

              On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Harry Whitfield <g7awz@...>wrote:

              > Äkräm,
              >
              > Instead of trying to modify JSLint to accept non-standard JavaScript, you
              > could consider altering the JavaScript code to make it conform to the
              > standard.
              > That would be my preferred solution.
              >
              > Another possibility would be to pre-process the code to replace "let" and
              > "const" by "var". It would also be fairly easy to modify JSLint or its file
              > input code to do that.
              > However, if I remember correctly, the semantics of "let" is not quite the
              > same as that of "var".
              >
              > Harry.

            • Tom Byers
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
                Interesting and kind of a catch 22. If �kr�m substitutes let and const then
                he is using the syntax of the language he is working in against the spec,
                the very thing JSLint is meant to prevent.

                From what I read let is an additional way to define block scope so you could
                do some pre-processing that wrapped it in a function and split the variable
                assignments in the brackets out into separate variable assignments. This
                should let you test the scope correctly:

                var x = 5;
                var y = 0;

                let (x = x+10, y = 12) {
                print(x+y + "\n");
                }

                print((x + y) + "\n");

                as

                var x = 5;
                var y = 0;

                var let1 = function() {
                var x = x+10, y = 12;
                print(x+y + "\n");
                }

                print((x + y) + "\n");

                Print should also be commented.

                As for const, this provides something that standard Javascript doesn't
                currently support - proper constants. You can declare them as vars for the
                purposes of Linting but this JSLint will not actually check that your
                developers are staying true to the syntax.

                https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference/Statements/const

                Tom

                p.s. don't worry to Simon, just trying to get this interesting discussion
                back on track :)

                On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> wrote:

                > Hi Harry,
                >
                > Thank you for your helpful thoughts. But since I am a tester on a mozilla
                > extension project and those js code I am testing meant to run on mozilla
                > javascript engine, I can not ask developers to use standard javascript
                > instead of mozilla one. I must test their code, I hope JSLint can help me a
                > little bit.
                >
                > You are right, now I also think treating let and const as var is a bad
                > idea,
                > since they are not quiet similar and also should be tested as a way they
                > should be tested. So I like Tom's idea, add an Mozilla option since this is
                > also quiet popular version of JS. If that could be done I will happy to
                > contribute.
                >
                > Br,
                > �kr�m
                >
                > On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Harry Whitfield <g7awz@...<g7awz%40btinternet.com>
                > >wrote:
                >

                > > �kr�m,
                > >
                > > Instead of trying to modify JSLint to accept non-standard JavaScript, you
                > > could consider altering the JavaScript code to make it conform to the
                > > standard.
                > > That would be my preferred solution.
                > >
                > > Another possibility would be to pre-process the code to replace "let" and
                > > "const" by "var". It would also be fairly easy to modify JSLint or its
                > file
                > > input code to do that.
                > > However, if I remember correctly, the semantics of "let" is not quite the
                > > same as that of "var".
                > >
                > > Harry.

              • Morgaut Alexandre Louis Marc
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
                  I saw in previous posts kind of same "assume" request for some ssjs
                  environment.

                  I think it might be harder to assume "mozilla" or "commonjs" Than
                  "browser" and "rhino" Because Mozilla JavaScript has more commands,
                  and CommonJS has more types whereas the lastest only have builtin
                  objects and methods which CAN be declared to JSLint as globals.

                  Mozilla JavaScript is a différent language version, as are
                  ActionScript and JScript. All of them should support ecmascript
                  specification which is what JSlint is testing

                  Asking to JSlint to support the specificities of main JavaScript
                  implentation could be a powerfull option, it just be a little more
                  complicated.

                  It looks like one of the goals of JSLint was to help writing safe and
                  portable codes, which explain the limitation to ECMAScript.

                  So what about choosing the version number of the implementation we
                  want to assume (Well I could like it)

                  But sure, I'd love assume "server" instead of "rhino"

                  Alexandre

                  From iPhone

                  Le 7 janv. 2010 à 14:18, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> a écrit :

                  > Hi Harry,
                  >
                  > Thank you for your helpful thoughts. But since I am a tester on a
                  > mozilla
                  > extension project and those js code I am testing meant to run on
                  > mozilla
                  > javascript engine, I can not ask developers to use standard javascript
                  > instead of mozilla one. I must test their code, I hope JSLint can
                  > help me a
                  > little bit.
                  >
                  > You are right, now I also think treating let and const as var is a
                  > bad idea,
                  > since they are not quiet similar and also should be tested as a way
                  > they
                  > should be tested. So I like Tom's idea, add an Mozilla option since
                  > this is
                  > also quiet popular version of JS. If that could be done I will happy
                  > contribute.
                  >
                  > Br,
                  > Äkräm
                  >
                  > On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Harry Whitfield
                  > <g7awz@...>wrote:
                  >

                  > > Äkräm,
                  > >
                  > > Instead of trying to modify JSLint to accept non-standard
                  > JavaScript, you
                  > > could consider altering the JavaScript code to make it conform to
                  > the
                  > > standard.
                  > > That would be my preferred solution.
                  > >
                  > > Another possibility would be to pre-process the code to replace
                  > "let" and
                  > > "const" by "var". It would also be fairly easy to modify JSLint or
                  > its file
                  > > input code to do that.
                  > > However, if I remember correctly, the semantics of "let" is not
                  > quite the
                  > > same as that of "var".
                  > >
                  > > Harry.

                • Ekrem Tomur
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 8, 2010
                    Can somebody send me well formatted version of jslint.js? I really do not
                    want to waste my time on preprocessing since it is wrong and limited. I want
                    to try to implement Mozilla option myself, at least the part I needed. But
                    that jslint.js version annoying me since it is hard to read and change.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 8, 2010
                      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> wrote:

                      > Can somebody send me well formatted version of jslint.js? I really do not
                      > want to waste my time on preprocessing since it is wrong and limited. I want
                      > to try to implement Mozilla option myself, at least the part I needed. But
                      > that jslint.js version annoying me since it is hard to read and change.

                      Read the instructions. http://www.jslint.com/lint.html
                    • Klemen Slavič
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 8, 2010
                        Or try a code beautifier:

                        http://jsbeautifier.org/

                        2010/1/8 Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>

                        > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com <jslint_com%40yahoogroups.com>, Ekrem
                        > Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Can somebody send me well formatted version of jslint.js? I really do not
                        > > want to waste my time on preprocessing since it is wrong and limited. I
                        > want
                        > > to try to implement Mozilla option myself, at least the part I needed.
                        > But
                        > > that jslint.js version annoying me since it is hard to read and change.
                        >
                        > Read the instructions. http://www.jslint.com/lint.html

                      • Noah Sussman
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 8, 2010
                          On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> wrote:

                          > Can somebody send me well formatted version of jslint.js?

                          How about

                          http://www.jslint.com/fulljslint.js