Re: [jslint] Re: several JSLint errors I can't understand

  • Ekrem Tomur
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
      Hi,

      Can somebody propose me a small patch or hint, I would like to implement a
      workaround as treat all 'let' and 'const' like 'var'. So in this way I can
      suppress those errors which I won't fix. I am working on jslint.js 4.1.2009
      version. The code is not well tabbed and difficult to understand. Somebody
      please help.

      Thanks in advance.
      Äkräm

      On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> wrote:

      > sorry, I forgot to tell, I am using JSLint to test Mozilla Javascript. Is
      > that sound very stupid? If so I will stop doing that.
      > If not can you tell me how to adjust the options to meet the requirements?
      >
      > const is allowed in Mozilla Javascript and let is new feature in mozilla
      > JavaScript version 1.7
      >
      > Thanks.
      >

      > On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>wrote:
      >

      >> --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com <jslint_com%40yahoogroups.com>, Ekrem
      >> Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> > Can somebody tell me why JSLint give me these errors? I think let, const
      >> are
      >> > JavaScript language feature.
      >>
      >> They are not. let and const are not in any edition of the ECMAScript
      >> standard. Stick with the standard language. Use var instead.

    • Simon Kenyon Shepard
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
        Hi �kr�m,

        I cannot help you with your JSLint problem, but may I suggest the following
        book:

        http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/1439167346/

        <http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/1439167346/>will
        help you with the larger issue at hand.

        On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Can somebody propose me a small patch or hint, I would like to implement a
        > workaround as treat all 'let' and 'const' like 'var'. So in this way I can
        > suppress those errors which I won't fix. I am working on jslint.js 4.1.2009
        > version. The code is not well tabbed and difficult to understand. Somebody
        > please help.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        > �kr�m
        >

        > On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...<ekrem.tomur%40gmail.com>>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > sorry, I forgot to tell, I am using JSLint to test Mozilla Javascript. Is
        > > that sound very stupid? If so I will stop doing that.
        > > If not can you tell me how to adjust the options to meet the
        > requirements?
        > >
        > > const is allowed in Mozilla Javascript and let is new feature in mozilla
        > > JavaScript version 1.7
        > >
        > > Thanks.
        > >

        > > On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Douglas Crockford <douglas@...<douglas%40crockford.com>
        > >wrote:
        > >

        > >> --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com <jslint_com%40yahoogroups.com><jslint_com%
        > 40yahoogroups.com>, Ekrem

        > const
        > >> are
        > >>
        > >> They are not. let and const are not in any edition of the ECMAScript
        > >> standard. Stick with the standard language. Use var instead.

        "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"

      • Ekrem Tomur
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
          Hi Simon,

          Thanks for your suggestion. I do apologize if I am not being friendly enough
          to the list, it might be because of our cultural difference or my English
          skill or I am really a nerd who do not know how to get along with the
          people. I am really sorry if I hurt anybodies feelings here. I have tried to
          be kind and I will be more appreciated if you be more concise to point me
          which word or sentences I said have problem. Also I will read that book, it
          will be first book in my list which I will read in my free times.

          I still hope somebody can help me with my jslint problem, Thank you.

        • Tom Byers
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
            Not helpful to the group at all.

            Also not helping as the issue seems to be if there should be an option for
            working with Mozilla JS, an important question (especially bearing in mind
            the group has previously seen fit to at least think about including console
            as being valid).

            Äkräm has been keeping within the constraints of the language he is coding
            for (which is a type of JS).

            There's already quite a few 'assume' options (console, yahoo widget, rhino)
            so any *real* opinions on whether this should be put in or not?

            Tom

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
              Sincere apologies if any offence was caused/time wasted, I agree with your
              position that it was not relevant to the topic at all.

              On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Tom Byers <tombaromba@...> wrote:

              > Not helpful to the group at all.
              >
              > Also not helping as the issue seems to be if there should be an option for
              > working with Mozilla JS, an important question (especially bearing in mind
              > the group has previously seen fit to at least think about including console
              > as being valid).
              >
              > �kr�m has been keeping within the constraints of the language he is coding
              > for (which is a type of JS).
              >
              > There's already quite a few 'assume' options (console, yahoo widget, rhino)
              > so any *real* opinions on whether this should be put in or not?
              >
              > Tom
              >
              > On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Simon Kenyon Shepard <
              >
              > simon.shepard@... <simon.shepard%40googlemail.com>> wrote:
              >
              > > Hi �kr�m,
              > >
              > > I cannot help you with your JSLint problem, but may I suggest the
              > following
              > > book:
              > >
              > > http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/1439167346/
              > >
              > > <http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/1439167346/
              > > >will
              > > help you with the larger issue at hand.
              > >

              > > On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...<ekrem.tomur%40gmail.com>
              > >
              > > wrote:
              > >

              > > > Hi,
              > > >
              > > > Can somebody propose me a small patch or hint, I would like to
              > implement
              > > > workaround as treat all 'let' and 'const' like 'var'. So in this way I
              > > can
              > > > suppress those errors which I won't fix. I am working on jslint.js
              > > 4.1.2009
              > > > version. The code is not well tabbed and difficult to understand.
              > > Somebody
              > > > please help.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks in advance.
              > > > �kr�m
              > > >

              > > > On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...<ekrem.tomur%40gmail.com>
              > > <ekrem.tomur%40gmail.com>>

              > Javascript.
              > > Is
              > > > requirements?

              > > mozilla

              > > douglas@... <douglas%40crockford.com><douglas%40crockford.com>

              > 40yahoogroups.com
              > > ><jslint_com%
              > > > 40yahoogroups.com>, Ekrem

              > > > const

              > > --
              >
              > > "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"

              "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"

            • Harry Whitfield
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
                Äkräm,

                Instead of trying to modify JSLint to accept non-standard JavaScript, you could consider altering the JavaScript code to make it conform to the standard.
                That would be my preferred solution.

                Another possibility would be to pre-process the code to replace "let" and "const" by "var". It would also be fairly easy to modify JSLint or its file input code to do that.
                However, if I remember correctly, the semantics of "let" is not quite the same as that of "var".

                Harry.
              • Ekrem Tomur
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
                  Hi Harry,

                  Thank you for your helpful thoughts. But since I am a tester on a mozilla
                  extension project and those js code I am testing meant to run on mozilla
                  javascript engine, I can not ask developers to use standard javascript
                  instead of mozilla one. I must test their code, I hope JSLint can help me a
                  little bit.

                  You are right, now I also think treating let and const as var is a bad idea,
                  since they are not quiet similar and also should be tested as a way they
                  should be tested. So I like Tom's idea, add an Mozilla option since this is
                  also quiet popular version of JS. If that could be done I will happy to
                  contribute.

                  Br,
                  Äkräm

                  On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Harry Whitfield <g7awz@...>wrote:

                  > Äkräm,
                  >
                  > Instead of trying to modify JSLint to accept non-standard JavaScript, you
                  > could consider altering the JavaScript code to make it conform to the
                  > standard.
                  > That would be my preferred solution.
                  >
                  > Another possibility would be to pre-process the code to replace "let" and
                  > "const" by "var". It would also be fairly easy to modify JSLint or its file
                  > input code to do that.
                  > However, if I remember correctly, the semantics of "let" is not quite the
                  > same as that of "var".
                  >
                  > Harry.

                • Tom Byers
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
                    Interesting and kind of a catch 22. If �kr�m substitutes let and const then
                    he is using the syntax of the language he is working in against the spec,
                    the very thing JSLint is meant to prevent.

                    From what I read let is an additional way to define block scope so you could
                    do some pre-processing that wrapped it in a function and split the variable
                    assignments in the brackets out into separate variable assignments. This
                    should let you test the scope correctly:

                    var x = 5;
                    var y = 0;

                    let (x = x+10, y = 12) {
                    print(x+y + "\n");
                    }

                    print((x + y) + "\n");

                    as

                    var x = 5;
                    var y = 0;

                    var let1 = function() {
                    var x = x+10, y = 12;
                    print(x+y + "\n");
                    }

                    print((x + y) + "\n");

                    Print should also be commented.

                    As for const, this provides something that standard Javascript doesn't
                    currently support - proper constants. You can declare them as vars for the
                    purposes of Linting but this JSLint will not actually check that your
                    developers are staying true to the syntax.

                    https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference/Statements/const

                    Tom

                    p.s. don't worry to Simon, just trying to get this interesting discussion
                    back on track :)

                    On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Harry,
                    >
                    > Thank you for your helpful thoughts. But since I am a tester on a mozilla
                    > extension project and those js code I am testing meant to run on mozilla
                    > javascript engine, I can not ask developers to use standard javascript
                    > instead of mozilla one. I must test their code, I hope JSLint can help me a
                    > little bit.
                    >
                    > You are right, now I also think treating let and const as var is a bad
                    > idea,
                    > since they are not quiet similar and also should be tested as a way they
                    > should be tested. So I like Tom's idea, add an Mozilla option since this is
                    > also quiet popular version of JS. If that could be done I will happy to
                    > contribute.
                    >
                    > Br,
                    > �kr�m
                    >
                    > On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Harry Whitfield <g7awz@...<g7awz%40btinternet.com>
                    > >wrote:
                    >

                    > > �kr�m,
                    > >
                    > > Instead of trying to modify JSLint to accept non-standard JavaScript, you
                    > > could consider altering the JavaScript code to make it conform to the
                    > > standard.
                    > > That would be my preferred solution.
                    > >
                    > > Another possibility would be to pre-process the code to replace "let" and
                    > > "const" by "var". It would also be fairly easy to modify JSLint or its
                    > file
                    > > input code to do that.
                    > > However, if I remember correctly, the semantics of "let" is not quite the
                    > > same as that of "var".
                    > >
                    > > Harry.

                  • Morgaut Alexandre Louis Marc
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
                      I saw in previous posts kind of same "assume" request for some ssjs
                      environment.

                      I think it might be harder to assume "mozilla" or "commonjs" Than
                      "browser" and "rhino" Because Mozilla JavaScript has more commands,
                      and CommonJS has more types whereas the lastest only have builtin
                      objects and methods which CAN be declared to JSLint as globals.

                      Mozilla JavaScript is a différent language version, as are
                      ActionScript and JScript. All of them should support ecmascript
                      specification which is what JSlint is testing

                      Asking to JSlint to support the specificities of main JavaScript
                      implentation could be a powerfull option, it just be a little more
                      complicated.

                      It looks like one of the goals of JSLint was to help writing safe and
                      portable codes, which explain the limitation to ECMAScript.

                      So what about choosing the version number of the implementation we
                      want to assume (Well I could like it)

                      But sure, I'd love assume "server" instead of "rhino"

                      Alexandre

                      From iPhone

                      Le 7 janv. 2010 à 14:18, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> a écrit :

                      > Hi Harry,
                      >
                      > Thank you for your helpful thoughts. But since I am a tester on a
                      > mozilla
                      > extension project and those js code I am testing meant to run on
                      > mozilla
                      > javascript engine, I can not ask developers to use standard javascript
                      > instead of mozilla one. I must test their code, I hope JSLint can
                      > help me a
                      > little bit.
                      >
                      > You are right, now I also think treating let and const as var is a
                      > bad idea,
                      > since they are not quiet similar and also should be tested as a way
                      > they
                      > should be tested. So I like Tom's idea, add an Mozilla option since
                      > this is
                      > also quiet popular version of JS. If that could be done I will happy
                      > contribute.
                      >
                      > Br,
                      > Äkräm
                      >
                      > On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Harry Whitfield
                      > <g7awz@...>wrote:
                      >

                      > > Äkräm,
                      > >
                      > > Instead of trying to modify JSLint to accept non-standard
                      > JavaScript, you
                      > > could consider altering the JavaScript code to make it conform to
                      > the
                      > > standard.
                      > > That would be my preferred solution.
                      > >
                      > > Another possibility would be to pre-process the code to replace
                      > "let" and
                      > > "const" by "var". It would also be fairly easy to modify JSLint or
                      > its file
                      > > input code to do that.
                      > > However, if I remember correctly, the semantics of "let" is not
                      > quite the
                      > > same as that of "var".
                      > >
                      > > Harry.

                    • Ekrem Tomur
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 8, 2010
                        Can somebody send me well formatted version of jslint.js? I really do not
                        want to waste my time on preprocessing since it is wrong and limited. I want
                        to try to implement Mozilla option myself, at least the part I needed. But
                        that jslint.js version annoying me since it is hard to read and change.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 8, 2010
                          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> wrote:

                          > Can somebody send me well formatted version of jslint.js? I really do not
                          > want to waste my time on preprocessing since it is wrong and limited. I want
                          > to try to implement Mozilla option myself, at least the part I needed. But
                          > that jslint.js version annoying me since it is hard to read and change.

                          Read the instructions. http://www.jslint.com/lint.html
                        • Klemen Slavič
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 8, 2010
                            Or try a code beautifier:

                            http://jsbeautifier.org/

                            2010/1/8 Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>

                            > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com <jslint_com%40yahoogroups.com>, Ekrem
                            > Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Can somebody send me well formatted version of jslint.js? I really do not
                            > > want to waste my time on preprocessing since it is wrong and limited. I
                            > want
                            > > to try to implement Mozilla option myself, at least the part I needed.
                            > But
                            > > that jslint.js version annoying me since it is hard to read and change.
                            >
                            > Read the instructions. http://www.jslint.com/lint.html

                          • Noah Sussman
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 8, 2010
                              On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> wrote:

                              > Can somebody send me well formatted version of jslint.js?

                              How about

                              http://www.jslint.com/fulljslint.js