Re: [jslint] Re: several JSLint errors I can't understand

  • Ekrem Tomur
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 5, 2010
      sorry, I forgot to tell, I am using JSLint to test Mozilla Javascript. Is
      that sound very stupid? If so I will stop doing that.
      If not can you tell me how to adjust the options to meet the requirements?

      const is allowed in Mozilla Javascript and let is new feature in mozilla
      JavaScript version 1.7

      Thanks.

      On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>wrote:

      > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com <jslint_com%40yahoogroups.com>, Ekrem
      > Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Can somebody tell me why JSLint give me these errors? I think let, const
      > are
      > > JavaScript language feature.
      >
      > They are not. let and const are not in any edition of the ECMAScript
      > standard. Stick with the standard language. Use var instead.

    • Ekrem Tomur
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
        Hi,

        Can somebody propose me a small patch or hint, I would like to implement a
        workaround as treat all 'let' and 'const' like 'var'. So in this way I can
        suppress those errors which I won't fix. I am working on jslint.js 4.1.2009
        version. The code is not well tabbed and difficult to understand. Somebody
        please help.

        Thanks in advance.
        Äkräm

        On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> wrote:

        > sorry, I forgot to tell, I am using JSLint to test Mozilla Javascript. Is
        > that sound very stupid? If so I will stop doing that.
        > If not can you tell me how to adjust the options to meet the requirements?
        >
        > const is allowed in Mozilla Javascript and let is new feature in mozilla
        > JavaScript version 1.7
        >
        > Thanks.
        >

        > On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>wrote:
        >

        >> --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com <jslint_com%40yahoogroups.com>, Ekrem
        >> Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> > Can somebody tell me why JSLint give me these errors? I think let, const
        >> are
        >> > JavaScript language feature.
        >>
        >> They are not. let and const are not in any edition of the ECMAScript
        >> standard. Stick with the standard language. Use var instead.

      • Simon Kenyon Shepard
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
          Hi �kr�m,

          I cannot help you with your JSLint problem, but may I suggest the following
          book:

          http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/1439167346/

          <http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/1439167346/>will
          help you with the larger issue at hand.

          On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Can somebody propose me a small patch or hint, I would like to implement a
          > workaround as treat all 'let' and 'const' like 'var'. So in this way I can
          > suppress those errors which I won't fix. I am working on jslint.js 4.1.2009
          > version. The code is not well tabbed and difficult to understand. Somebody
          > please help.
          >
          > Thanks in advance.
          > �kr�m
          >

          > On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...<ekrem.tomur%40gmail.com>>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > sorry, I forgot to tell, I am using JSLint to test Mozilla Javascript. Is
          > > that sound very stupid? If so I will stop doing that.
          > > If not can you tell me how to adjust the options to meet the
          > requirements?
          > >
          > > const is allowed in Mozilla Javascript and let is new feature in mozilla
          > > JavaScript version 1.7
          > >
          > > Thanks.
          > >

          > > On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Douglas Crockford <douglas@...<douglas%40crockford.com>
          > >wrote:
          > >

          > >> --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com <jslint_com%40yahoogroups.com><jslint_com%
          > 40yahoogroups.com>, Ekrem

          > const
          > >> are
          > >>
          > >> They are not. let and const are not in any edition of the ECMAScript
          > >> standard. Stick with the standard language. Use var instead.

          "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"

        • Ekrem Tomur
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
            Hi Simon,

            Thanks for your suggestion. I do apologize if I am not being friendly enough
            to the list, it might be because of our cultural difference or my English
            skill or I am really a nerd who do not know how to get along with the
            people. I am really sorry if I hurt anybodies feelings here. I have tried to
            be kind and I will be more appreciated if you be more concise to point me
            which word or sentences I said have problem. Also I will read that book, it
            will be first book in my list which I will read in my free times.

            I still hope somebody can help me with my jslint problem, Thank you.

          • Tom Byers
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
              Not helpful to the group at all.

              Also not helping as the issue seems to be if there should be an option for
              working with Mozilla JS, an important question (especially bearing in mind
              the group has previously seen fit to at least think about including console
              as being valid).

              Äkräm has been keeping within the constraints of the language he is coding
              for (which is a type of JS).

              There's already quite a few 'assume' options (console, yahoo widget, rhino)
              so any *real* opinions on whether this should be put in or not?

              Tom

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
                Sincere apologies if any offence was caused/time wasted, I agree with your
                position that it was not relevant to the topic at all.

                On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Tom Byers <tombaromba@...> wrote:

                > Not helpful to the group at all.
                >
                > Also not helping as the issue seems to be if there should be an option for
                > working with Mozilla JS, an important question (especially bearing in mind
                > the group has previously seen fit to at least think about including console
                > as being valid).
                >
                > �kr�m has been keeping within the constraints of the language he is coding
                > for (which is a type of JS).
                >
                > There's already quite a few 'assume' options (console, yahoo widget, rhino)
                > so any *real* opinions on whether this should be put in or not?
                >
                > Tom
                >
                > On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Simon Kenyon Shepard <
                >
                > simon.shepard@... <simon.shepard%40googlemail.com>> wrote:
                >
                > > Hi �kr�m,
                > >
                > > I cannot help you with your JSLint problem, but may I suggest the
                > following
                > > book:
                > >
                > > http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/1439167346/
                > >
                > > <http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/1439167346/
                > > >will
                > > help you with the larger issue at hand.
                > >

                > > On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...<ekrem.tomur%40gmail.com>
                > >
                > > wrote:
                > >

                > > > Hi,
                > > >
                > > > Can somebody propose me a small patch or hint, I would like to
                > implement
                > > > workaround as treat all 'let' and 'const' like 'var'. So in this way I
                > > can
                > > > suppress those errors which I won't fix. I am working on jslint.js
                > > 4.1.2009
                > > > version. The code is not well tabbed and difficult to understand.
                > > Somebody
                > > > please help.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks in advance.
                > > > �kr�m
                > > >

                > > > On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...<ekrem.tomur%40gmail.com>
                > > <ekrem.tomur%40gmail.com>>

                > Javascript.
                > > Is
                > > > requirements?

                > > mozilla

                > > douglas@... <douglas%40crockford.com><douglas%40crockford.com>

                > 40yahoogroups.com
                > > ><jslint_com%
                > > > 40yahoogroups.com>, Ekrem

                > > > const

                > > --
                >
                > > "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"

                "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"

              • Harry Whitfield
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
                  Äkräm,

                  Instead of trying to modify JSLint to accept non-standard JavaScript, you could consider altering the JavaScript code to make it conform to the standard.
                  That would be my preferred solution.

                  Another possibility would be to pre-process the code to replace "let" and "const" by "var". It would also be fairly easy to modify JSLint or its file input code to do that.
                  However, if I remember correctly, the semantics of "let" is not quite the same as that of "var".

                  Harry.
                • Ekrem Tomur
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
                    Hi Harry,

                    Thank you for your helpful thoughts. But since I am a tester on a mozilla
                    extension project and those js code I am testing meant to run on mozilla
                    javascript engine, I can not ask developers to use standard javascript
                    instead of mozilla one. I must test their code, I hope JSLint can help me a
                    little bit.

                    You are right, now I also think treating let and const as var is a bad idea,
                    since they are not quiet similar and also should be tested as a way they
                    should be tested. So I like Tom's idea, add an Mozilla option since this is
                    also quiet popular version of JS. If that could be done I will happy to
                    contribute.

                    Br,
                    Äkräm

                    On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Harry Whitfield <g7awz@...>wrote:

                    > Äkräm,
                    >
                    > Instead of trying to modify JSLint to accept non-standard JavaScript, you
                    > could consider altering the JavaScript code to make it conform to the
                    > standard.
                    > That would be my preferred solution.
                    >
                    > Another possibility would be to pre-process the code to replace "let" and
                    > "const" by "var". It would also be fairly easy to modify JSLint or its file
                    > input code to do that.
                    > However, if I remember correctly, the semantics of "let" is not quite the
                    > same as that of "var".
                    >
                    > Harry.

                  • Tom Byers
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
                      Interesting and kind of a catch 22. If �kr�m substitutes let and const then
                      he is using the syntax of the language he is working in against the spec,
                      the very thing JSLint is meant to prevent.

                      From what I read let is an additional way to define block scope so you could
                      do some pre-processing that wrapped it in a function and split the variable
                      assignments in the brackets out into separate variable assignments. This
                      should let you test the scope correctly:

                      var x = 5;
                      var y = 0;

                      let (x = x+10, y = 12) {
                      print(x+y + "\n");
                      }

                      print((x + y) + "\n");

                      as

                      var x = 5;
                      var y = 0;

                      var let1 = function() {
                      var x = x+10, y = 12;
                      print(x+y + "\n");
                      }

                      print((x + y) + "\n");

                      Print should also be commented.

                      As for const, this provides something that standard Javascript doesn't
                      currently support - proper constants. You can declare them as vars for the
                      purposes of Linting but this JSLint will not actually check that your
                      developers are staying true to the syntax.

                      https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference/Statements/const

                      Tom

                      p.s. don't worry to Simon, just trying to get this interesting discussion
                      back on track :)

                      On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Harry,
                      >
                      > Thank you for your helpful thoughts. But since I am a tester on a mozilla
                      > extension project and those js code I am testing meant to run on mozilla
                      > javascript engine, I can not ask developers to use standard javascript
                      > instead of mozilla one. I must test their code, I hope JSLint can help me a
                      > little bit.
                      >
                      > You are right, now I also think treating let and const as var is a bad
                      > idea,
                      > since they are not quiet similar and also should be tested as a way they
                      > should be tested. So I like Tom's idea, add an Mozilla option since this is
                      > also quiet popular version of JS. If that could be done I will happy to
                      > contribute.
                      >
                      > Br,
                      > �kr�m
                      >
                      > On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Harry Whitfield <g7awz@...<g7awz%40btinternet.com>
                      > >wrote:
                      >

                      > > �kr�m,
                      > >
                      > > Instead of trying to modify JSLint to accept non-standard JavaScript, you
                      > > could consider altering the JavaScript code to make it conform to the
                      > > standard.
                      > > That would be my preferred solution.
                      > >
                      > > Another possibility would be to pre-process the code to replace "let" and
                      > > "const" by "var". It would also be fairly easy to modify JSLint or its
                      > file
                      > > input code to do that.
                      > > However, if I remember correctly, the semantics of "let" is not quite the
                      > > same as that of "var".
                      > >
                      > > Harry.

                    • Morgaut Alexandre Louis Marc
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 7, 2010
                        I saw in previous posts kind of same "assume" request for some ssjs
                        environment.

                        I think it might be harder to assume "mozilla" or "commonjs" Than
                        "browser" and "rhino" Because Mozilla JavaScript has more commands,
                        and CommonJS has more types whereas the lastest only have builtin
                        objects and methods which CAN be declared to JSLint as globals.

                        Mozilla JavaScript is a différent language version, as are
                        ActionScript and JScript. All of them should support ecmascript
                        specification which is what JSlint is testing

                        Asking to JSlint to support the specificities of main JavaScript
                        implentation could be a powerfull option, it just be a little more
                        complicated.

                        It looks like one of the goals of JSLint was to help writing safe and
                        portable codes, which explain the limitation to ECMAScript.

                        So what about choosing the version number of the implementation we
                        want to assume (Well I could like it)

                        But sure, I'd love assume "server" instead of "rhino"

                        Alexandre

                        From iPhone

                        Le 7 janv. 2010 à 14:18, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> a écrit :

                        > Hi Harry,
                        >
                        > Thank you for your helpful thoughts. But since I am a tester on a
                        > mozilla
                        > extension project and those js code I am testing meant to run on
                        > mozilla
                        > javascript engine, I can not ask developers to use standard javascript
                        > instead of mozilla one. I must test their code, I hope JSLint can
                        > help me a
                        > little bit.
                        >
                        > You are right, now I also think treating let and const as var is a
                        > bad idea,
                        > since they are not quiet similar and also should be tested as a way
                        > they
                        > should be tested. So I like Tom's idea, add an Mozilla option since
                        > this is
                        > also quiet popular version of JS. If that could be done I will happy
                        > contribute.
                        >
                        > Br,
                        > Äkräm
                        >
                        > On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Harry Whitfield
                        > <g7awz@...>wrote:
                        >

                        > > Äkräm,
                        > >
                        > > Instead of trying to modify JSLint to accept non-standard
                        > JavaScript, you
                        > > could consider altering the JavaScript code to make it conform to
                        > the
                        > > standard.
                        > > That would be my preferred solution.
                        > >
                        > > Another possibility would be to pre-process the code to replace
                        > "let" and
                        > > "const" by "var". It would also be fairly easy to modify JSLint or
                        > its file
                        > > input code to do that.
                        > > However, if I remember correctly, the semantics of "let" is not
                        > quite the
                        > > same as that of "var".
                        > >
                        > > Harry.

                      • Ekrem Tomur
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 8, 2010
                          Can somebody send me well formatted version of jslint.js? I really do not
                          want to waste my time on preprocessing since it is wrong and limited. I want
                          to try to implement Mozilla option myself, at least the part I needed. But
                          that jslint.js version annoying me since it is hard to read and change.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 8, 2010
                            --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> wrote:

                            > Can somebody send me well formatted version of jslint.js? I really do not
                            > want to waste my time on preprocessing since it is wrong and limited. I want
                            > to try to implement Mozilla option myself, at least the part I needed. But
                            > that jslint.js version annoying me since it is hard to read and change.

                            Read the instructions. http://www.jslint.com/lint.html
                          • Klemen Slavič
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 8, 2010
                              Or try a code beautifier:

                              http://jsbeautifier.org/

                              2010/1/8 Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>

                              > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com <jslint_com%40yahoogroups.com>, Ekrem
                              > Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Can somebody send me well formatted version of jslint.js? I really do not
                              > > want to waste my time on preprocessing since it is wrong and limited. I
                              > want
                              > > to try to implement Mozilla option myself, at least the part I needed.
                              > But
                              > > that jslint.js version annoying me since it is hard to read and change.
                              >
                              > Read the instructions. http://www.jslint.com/lint.html

                            • Noah Sussman
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 8, 2010
                                On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Ekrem Tomur <ekrem.tomur@...> wrote:

                                > Can somebody send me well formatted version of jslint.js?

                                How about

                                http://www.jslint.com/fulljslint.js