Re: JSLint doesn't like escaped newlines?

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 21, 2009
      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "jameswcryer" <emailthejames@...> wrote:
      > var htmlstring = '\
      > <h1>Title</h1>\
      > Some text\
      >
      > Unfortunately the online JSLint app doesn't like this syntax, it provides the following error:
      >
      > Problem at line 1 character 20: Bad escapement.
      >
      > var htmlstring = '\
      >
      > May I ask if there is a reason for this or perhaps a limitation of the given UI?

      It is not allowed by the third edition of the standard.
    • Michael S. Mikowski
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 22, 2009
        I have found the following style construct:

        var htmlstring;

        htmlstring
        = '<h1>Title</h1>'
        + '<p>'
        + 'Some text'
        + '</p>'
        ;

        preferential for at least two reasons:

        1) When you use a compressor, like YUICompressor (you /are/ compressing your
        code, right?), the string is concatenated for you, so this actually takes up
        less space than the escaped carriage returns; and

        2) It is more readable without a performance penalty, as indentations are
        stripped during compression.

        Cheers, Mike

        On Monday 21 December 2009 03:37:59 pm Douglas Crockford wrote:
        > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "jameswcryer" <emailthejames@...> wrote:
        > > var htmlstring = '\
        > > <h1>Title</h1>\
        > > Some text\
        > >
        > > Unfortunately the online JSLint app doesn't like this syntax, it provides
        > > the following error:
        > >
        > > Problem at line 1 character 20: Bad escapement.
        > >
        > > var htmlstring = '\
        > >
        > > May I ask if there is a reason for this or perhaps a limitation of the
        > > given UI?
        >
        > It is not allowed by the third edition of the standard.

      • jameswcryer
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 23, 2009
          A good point well made, and yes we're using YUICompressor.
          Cheers, James.