880Re: [jslint] Re: Save and restore jslint settings

  • Paul Novitski
    Sep 2, 2009

      At 9/2/2009 10:24 AM, aseem.kishore@... wrote:
      >I'm also not sure about whether that indeed optimizes anything. I
      >haven't done profiling comparisons; I'm just reusing well-known algorithms.

      Christian, my guess is that the reasoning behind your comment is an
      assumption that Aseem would choose bit-manipulation primarily to
      optimize the code on a low level. From Aseem's reply that doesn't
      appear to be the case. He's using algorithms because they're
      dependable and do the job without regard for how they work on a low
      level, and that's interesting.

      I offer the opinion that, unless a particular language structure
      occurs in a loop that iterates an enormous number of times, low-level
      optimization is irrelevant compared to the importance of its
      usability in the high-level script.

      (Can we get away with calling usability high-level or human-level

      If a bit of syntax is easy to use, read, proofread, and modify, then
      it wins. The whole purpose of high-level scripts such as JavaScript
      is their human benefit only; the computers don't care, they would run
      binary machine code much more quickly. But these days the chips are
      so bloody fast that it takes a lot of inefficiency to make their
      round trips perceptible to our own slow-poke bags of brain jelly.

      Paul Novitski
      Juniper Webcraft Ltd.
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic