552[jslint] Re: Undefined variable

  • sandyhead25
    May 29, 2009

      > Hasn't this all gotten a little far from the original problem?
      >
      > The way I understood it, it had to do with "namespaces". If you have two javascript files that both declare some functionality in the same namespace, and you're not sure if you'll be using one file, the other file, or both files (or you are sure but all three cases exist in various parts of the application), then you do need "special tricks" (i.e. not just creating the namespace and putting stuff in it) to avoid the contents of the second file removing everything declared by the first.
      >
      > The simple trick is to start both files like this:
      >
      > var Namespace = Namespace || {};
      >
      > No need to check if Namespace has already been declared, just use the rather powerful 'or' operator.
      >
      > /Jakob

      In that case it is even more simple. If two named values exist within the same scope the only that survives is the one that is declared last. If it is a matter of functions competing for the same scope from different JS files the only one that survives is the one that is in the file sourced last into the HTML.
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic