3104Re: [jslint] regex parsing - [^]

    Jan 19, 2013
      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Felix E. Klee" wrote:

      > On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 3:01 AM, george_weilenmann
      > wrote:
      > > Given that this is unique to JavaScript I'd say that JSLint is in the
      > > right as it is confusing.
      >
      > So, which regular expression syntax should JSLint enforce? POSIX? Is
      > that even compatible with the implementation in JavaScript?
      >
      > Given that there are many dialects of regular expressions and not one
      > single authoratitive standard, in my opinion, JSLint should enforce:
      >
      > Regular expressions as defined by ECMAScript. :-)

      One of the design principles behind JSLint is that if a feature is problematic, and if it can be completely replaced with another feature that is less problematic, then the more problematic feature should not be allowed. In making that determination, the following are irrelevant: It is permitted by a standard. It is sometimes useful. It is totally awesome. It is popular.
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic