2727Re: [jslint] member names outside ASCII but still in the Unicode Basic Multilingual Plane

  • Joshua Bell
    Jan 6, 2012
      On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 6:54 AM, Tom Worster <fsb@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I like to program in Unicode (☭ = ☃ + π;) but I accept that there can be
      > difficulties. One question is what collation JS should use to decide
      > equivalence (according to Unicode, whether é is different from e depends
      > on locale). Another is that Unicode offers different character sequences,
      > and thus different byte strings, to represent the exact same thing (ö and
      > ö look the same to me but the first is U+006F U+0308 the second is U+00F6).

      A Globalization API for JavaScript is under consideration on es-discuss,
      for implementation by browser vendors as host objects and/or inclusion in
      the next version of the ECMAScript standard as a module. I believe the
      latest version of the proposal can be found at:

      http://norbertlindenberg.com/2011/11/ecmascript-globalization-api/index.html

      The current proposal includes support for locale-specific collation and all
      the Unicode-goodness you'd expect. This is done with new objects/functions
      - existing JavaScript string comparison operations remain unchanged (i.e.
      continue to operate by ordinal comparison of the 16-bit elements of JS
      strings)