2671Re: [jslint] Re: Can we please lose the trailing whitespace and "this" restriction?

  • Erik Eckhardt
    Nov 14, 2011
      Matthew,

      By saying "fix the code" you are saying the code is broken. Except,
      trailing white space is *not* broken code in the minds of many users, as
      evidenced by all the discussion on this topic. You're ignoring this and
      instead treating jslint's demands as some automatic canonical standard,
      which failing to meet proves the code is broken, problematic, or otherwise
      less than perfect or ideal.

      So, please stop arguing for and discussing the wrong thing. It is *not* a
      logistical problem of how to conform with jslint. They're programmers. They
      can probably figure this out if they really have the inclination and all
      other avenues are blocked. The issue is that for certain legitimate issues,
      jslint should offer the flexibility for people to clean their code the way
      they want, without the unnecessary pain caused by overzealous restrictions
      in an otherwise very valuable tool.

      Who is jslint for? Who is the customer? Why is it being produced? What is
      its actual purpose? Does the owner care if some portion of the user base is
      alienated by unnanounced beraking changes? If we had these things clearly
      stated, perhaps some of the customers might decide not to be so any more.
      If the expectation is that jslint can and will be changed without notice in
      a way that breaks actual money-making operations (that is, the day-to-day
      business need of users to produce code without unneeded & costly roadblocks
      randomly showing up), perhaps it is too risky to integrate it into our
      businesses. Wait... we can just use an old version, right? Unless we find
      some other tool that is also growing but doesn't have the same risks...

      Erik