255JSLint for checking javascript for Firefox extensions

  • saturn_jct
    Oct 3, 2008
      After tracking down a bug in 0.8.5.3 of the HTML Validator Firefox
      extension, I decided to try out JSLint on some of the code in it. It
      doesn't work because of some things that I think are Javascript
      extensions usable only by Firefox extensions.

      The first problem I ran into is the use of "const", which isn't
      recognized by JSLint.

      The other problem was the use of "window.arguments". JSLint considers
      "arguments" to be a reserved word. Try as I might, I couldn't find a
      reference anywhere that listed arguments as a current or possible
      future reserved word. I did find out that "window.arguments" is an
      additional property created when a window is created using
      window.OpenDialog, which appears to be part of the Gecko DOM. See
      http://developer.mozilla.org/en/DOM/window.openDialog

      Now beyond these two problems, JSLint was showing lots of questionable
      things in the Javascript of the extension.

      Where I'm going with this is that I think it would be of significant
      use to people to be able to use JSLint on the code for their Firefox
      extensions. There would be the problem of sorting out what extensions
      and modifications are available when programming for Firefox Extensions.

      Any thoughts?

      Thanks,

      Shane
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic