195Re: onevar

  • Chris
    Aug 23, 2008
      wrote:

      > I increased the amount of rigor required of HTML files. Initially,
      > checking of HTML was minimal, just enough to locate the scripts.
      > JSLint seems to be evolving into an HTML verifier.
      >
      > There are a lot of changes in this update. Please let me know if I
      > broke anything.

      ASP uses "<%" and "%>" to delimit areas of server-side ASP code. As ASP
      code can take the form of JScript, I have found JSLint to be a useful
      tool for maintaining this code.

      With the 2008-08-18 edition, this has become considerably more
      inconvenient. I now receive the following error:

      Problem at line 1 character 1: Bad identifier %.
      <%@Language="VBScript" CodePage=65001 %>

      Problem at line 1 character 1: Unrecognized tag '<%>'.
      <%@Language="VBScript" CodePage=65001 %>

      Problem at line 1 character 1: Stopping, unable to continue. (0%
      scanned).

      I can work around this by copy-pasting only the necessary portions to
      check, but of course, the line numbers no longer match up if I do this.

      Previously, the "Tolerate HTML fragments" option would allows these
      sorts of files to be checked, and now it won't. I do not know if this
      should be "fixed" or not. Perhaps it is more correct the way it is. I
      do note that Javascript can show up in some very surprising
      places--including some places that look like HTML but are not--and this
      change reduces the usefulness of JSLint to me.

      I also wonder what else may be broken by this. I know JavaScript can be
      used inside SVG files, using the familiar <script> tag. I tested one of
      these with the 2008-08-18 version, and found a similar error message: it
      refuses to scan past the <svg> on line one.

      Alas.