1755Re: New Edition

  • Jordan
    Jan 11, 2011
      I didn't write this code, and would certainly prefer a better solution if you have one in mind. In addition I did not demand anything, I simply requested a feature you blindly removed, on a thread where you asked for feedback.

      I'm merely requesting the option to bend on code quality where necessary for production use cases.

      If JSLint (which via its configuration options has always done an excellent job of walking the line between an ideological code quality tool, and a production code validator) is now ignoring practical use cases, then I request that you remove all of the configuration options, and remove all pretense of attempting to make JSLint useful for production code.

      > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Jordan" <ljharb@> wrote:
      > > Removing the eqeqeq and immed option prevents me from being able to use things such as:
      > > var ie = "\v"=="v"; per http://ajaxian.com/archives/ievv
      > > as well as a one-line browser selector:
      > > (function x(){})[-5]=='x'?'FF3':(function x(){})[-6]=='x'?'FF2':/a/[-1]=='a'?'FF':'\v'=='v'?'IE':/a/.__proto__=='//'?'Saf':/s/.test(/a/.toString)?'Chr':!!window.opera?'Op':'Unknown';
      > > per http://www.thespanner.co.uk/2009/01/29/detecting-browsers-javascript-hacks/
      > >
      > > These may be hacks, and I always try to avoid using them, but I've found them necessary for dealing with certain browser behaviors, and more useful than user-agent sniffing. I certainly appreciate that these options should be set for all new code and 99% of old code, but the benefit of having them as options means I can set jslint directives in my file, and continue to easily validate.
      > >
      > > If you are going to insist on removing these configuration options, perhaps could you add a web get parameter so I can view the website with the latest version of jslint that offers these options?
      >

      > Clearly code quality is not important to you, or you would not be demanding your right to write incompetent crap.

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic