147[jslint] Re: Block-comment trick stops JSLINT

  • montago_2004
    Aug 6, 2008
      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Klemen Slavič" <krof.drakula@...>
      wrote:

      > IMHO, I don't think it's the domain of JSlint to handle these kind of
      > comments, since the output of this algorithm is supposed to be clean
      code
      > that is meant to be used in the wild - having those kinds of
      comments still
      > inside production code is more a sign of an unfinished product than a
      > lacking in JSlint's features.
      >
      > I'd suggest you ignore those errors when debugging and remove them upon
      > delivery - having an option to ignore those comments could lead to
      code leak
      > in the final product, like leftover dead commented code.

      If only JSLint would report it as an "Error"... JSLint stops
      completely, so its not even possible to simply ignore the error...

      If JSLint isn't supposed to be used WHILE coding, then what good is it
      ?... if you have a finished product which works perfectly... then
      theres not really a point in running JSLint on the code, unless you
      are a code-perfectionist who looooves beautiful code.

      the jQuery team gave up on JSLint because it actually introduced bad
      code behavior or unusual code :
      - http://dean.edwards.name/weblog/2006/06/jslint/
      -
      http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-en/browse_thread/thread/e53f483dd67e4d08/f72f7832ead80dfb?lnk=gst&q=JSLint#f72f7832ead80dfb

      the point of the discussion is that JSlint may be used to "validate"
      code - but only in a specific direction: towards Douglas favorite
      code-style

      anyhoo -- i think its more important that JSLint has a good and big
      support for testing code - and then disable whatever isn't suited for
      the people using it.

      and back... The /*/ trick is meant for debugging -- if JSLint isn't
      meant for people debugging, i can't use it.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic