1289Re: [jslint] Vendor extensions in pseudoclasses

  • Noah Sussman
    Apr 27, 2010
      On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Rob Richardson <erobrich@...> wrote:
      > http://validator. w3.org/ does the HTML,
      > http://jigsaw. w3.org/css- validator/ does the CSS,
      > though both are best as online tools and don't really support off-line without linux.

      I'm surprised to hear you say that these only run on linux, as I am
      able to do command-line validation of CSS and HTML on Windows and Mac
      as well.

      Great instructions on setting up the w3 CSS validator for use on the
      command line, are to be found in the EmacsWiki:
      http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FlymakeCSS

      And Tidy is an excellent command-line tool for HTML validation. It's
      included with Cygwin, Macports or Fink. Tidy is technically a linter,
      not a validator, but in practice it catches all the issues that the w3
      validation service does.
      http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/

      And if you really want true SGML validation, just like the w3
      validation service, there is onsgmls. It's also included with Cygwin,
      Macports and Fink; but you'd also need to grab the w3's DTD library (
      http://validator.w3.org/sgml-lib.tar.gz ) and then learn how to invoke
      the tool properly. IMO Tidy is much easier to use and onsgmls doesn't
      provide any extra value, but if you really want to use onsgmls, these
      links should get you started in the right direction:
      http://onemorebug.com/blog/2007/10/28/html-validation/
      http://snipplr.com/view/4970/validate-xhtml-with-tidy-andor-openjade-just-like-the-ff-extension/

      I hope this information is helpful to others, and that I've not
      strayed too far off-topic.

      --
      Noah Sussman
      Software Historian

      A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds
             -- Emerson
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic