1138Re: [jslint] no comments before html root element?

  • Mark Volkmann
    Feb 11 6:18 AM
      On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 3:21 AM, Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR USARC
      <austin.cheney@...> wrote:

      > > You asserted that the OP was "wrong" in his assessment (that they
      > > are valid), so I'll repeat my request for a source, or at least an
      > > example to support your position.
      >
      > If my answers to my opinions cannot be found in a standards specification or a commonly accepted best practices guidance they are formed from personal experience. Some of my personal XML experience is best not supplied here, but some of those works are online.

      The HTML 4.01 Recommendation makes this very clear in section 7.1.
      See http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/
      Here's what it says:

      "7.1 Introduction to the structure of an HTML document

      An HTML 4 document is composed of three parts:

      a line containing HTML version information,
      a declarative header section (delimited by the HEAD element),
      a body, which contains the document's actual content. The body may be
      implemented by the BODY element or the FRAMESET element.

      White space (spaces, newlines, tabs, and comments) may appear before
      or after each section."

      The last sentence says that comments can go anywhere. The only reason
      I can see for JSLint to not allow comments anywhere is if that causes
      a problem for a specific browser. If that's the case then I'd like to
      know which browsers have the issue.

      --
      R. Mark Volkmann
      Object Computing, Inc.