Re: xbase-09 songs.

  • rjerew@appliedtheory.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 2, 2001
      --- In jomox@y..., rjerew@a... wrote:
      > could someone please tell me how to effectively use song
      mode
      > to create songs!!
      >
      > has anybody else had trouble chaining their patterns together?
      >
      > help me please!
      >
      > thanks!!
      >
      > -- ryder (rjerew@a...)

      what does one need to do in this message board to get the lines
      of communication flowing??!??

      jeeze, pplz... it's been like a week and not so much as _one_
      reponse to the two messages i posted about using xbase's
      song mode... instead i see people replying to stoopid retorical
      questions like "i just bought an xbase, what version of the
      operating system do i have?!?" i can't even fathom how many
      questions like that i've peeped in this group. i've scoured
      threads looking for answers, but instead i find silly posts like
      that, it also seems like those are the only questions people get
      answers for. at this rate, i'd prolly get better results if i just
      posted a completely un-related message in my favorite msg
      board "http://www.tapesh.com/triton/"

      i'm not trying to get on anyone's bad side, i would just like
      someone to talk with me, so spread the info, share the
      knowledge folks... is that too much to ask?!?

      i really like it when i make an attempt to participate in a message
      area and then just end-up talking to my lonely self! << being
      sarcastic -- of course >>

      so at-any-rate, would someone be willing to shed some light on
      the song mode? proper usage, clarification of steps taken to
      chain patterns together?!? please? don't make me beg!
    • Heyoka_face_eater
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 2, 2001
        On Fri, 2 Mar 2001 rjerew@... wrote:

        > i'm not trying to get on anyone's bad side, i would just like
        > someone to talk with me, so spread the info, share the
        > knowledge folks... is that too much to ask?!?
        Ok, I never use song mode. Ever. There you have all my deep and dark
        secrets about song mode :)

        And so it is said that the Kin of Bel shall inherit all that is good, and
        all that is elektro shall be their realm.
      • dubracadabra@t-online.de
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 2, 2001
          On Fri, 2 Mar 2001 10:16:17 -0600 (CST), you wrote:

          > Ok, I never use song mode. Ever. There you have all my deep and dark
          > secrets about song mode :)

          I don't use it either - what is it good for? :]

          Really, I do it this way: my XBase is slaved to the sequencer.
          I program patterns on the XBase in Pattern mode and the sequencer
          sends Programchange when I want to switch say from pattern 11 to 15.
          Program change switches patterns. could it be easier?

          greeetings

          Georg

          --
          :::georg balzer
          :::dubracadabra@...
          Message 4 of 25 , Mar 2, 2001
            I have a question related to this:
            Is it normal that in _performance_ mode, the XBase also plays patterns when receiving midi clock from a sequencer??? How can I switch this off so it only plays what I send to it from my sequencer (so no internal patterns). I can't get it to work today, although it's always worked... dunno what happened.
            Really, I do it this way: my XBase is slaved to the sequencer.
            I program patterns on the XBase in Pattern mode and the sequencer
            sends Programchange when I want to switch say from pattern 11 to 15.
            Program change switches patterns. could it be easier?

            --
            Joeri Vankeirsbilck
            joeri@...

            Belway Productions      -     http://www.belway.com
            List-admin   Logic-users/SoundD*ver-users/Logic-TDM

          • dubracadabra@t-online.de
            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 2, 2001
              On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 18:34:15 +0100, you wrote:

              > Is it normal that in _performance_ mode, the XBase also plays patterns
              > when receiving midi clock from a sequencer??? How can I switch this off
              > so it only plays what I send to it from my sequencer (so no internal
              > patterns). I can't get it to work today, although it's always worked...
              > dunno what happened.

              Hello Joeri,
              set the clock to internal. Hit SHIFT/FUNC and the button 11 (clock
              select). With the UP/DOWN buttons change it to "int" (internal).

              ciao

              Georg

              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 2, 2001
                Hi Georg,
                Hello Joeri,
                set the clock to internal. Hit SHIFT/FUNC and the button 11 (clock
                select). With the UP/DOWN buttons change it to "int" (internal).
                Thanks for the reply! I think I've tested this already and Logic then goes in sync and waits for me to start the XBase. I want the XBase to be synced to Logic, so "int" is not the correct for this, is it?

                Bye,
                Joeri

                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 2, 2001
                  On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Joeri Vankeirsbilck wrote:

                  > synced to Logic, so "int" is not the correct for this, is it?
                  You want MIDI sunc then, although I think the LED looks more like
                  "ndi" for the parameter vaule

                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 2, 2001
                    > synced to Logic, so "int" is not the correct for this, is it?
                    You want MIDI sunc then, although I think the LED looks more like
                    "ndi" for the parameter vaule
                    That's what I though and how it is set over here. Let me rephraze the problem:
                    is it normal that, when sync is set to "mdi" and the XBase is set to performance mode, it still plays a pattern when it receives midi clock??? It should only play the notes I've played, not any pattern. Should I reset the machine and see what happens then or is this behaviour normal?

                    Bye,
                    Joeri

                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 2, 2001
                      On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 19:51:45 +0100, you wrote:

                      > Thanks for the reply! I think I've tested this already and Logic then
                      > goes in sync and waits for me to start the XBase. I want the XBase to be
                      > synced to Logic, so "int" is not the correct for this, is it?

                      Hi Joeri,
                      sorry, this confuses me a bit. I don't know Logic (Cubase/Atari here)
                      but could it be some Sync setting in Logic? Looks like Logic is
                      configured to be slave. Did I understand you correctly, that you want
                      to sequence the XBase's insrtuments with Logic and you don't want the
                      XBase to play their patterns?
                      My suggestion is to set the XBase's clock to "Mid" as before and just
                      choose an empty pattern. Sounds like a workaround, that costs one
                      pattern memory, but has the advantage, that you can use the XBase's
                      LFOs, wich only run, when the sequencer is running.

                      good luck

                      Georg

                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 2, 2001
                        On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 20:11:01 +0100, you wrote:

                        > is it normal that, when sync is set to "mdi" and the XBase is set to
                        > performance mode, it still plays a pattern when it receives midi
                        > clock??? It should only play the notes I've played, not any pattern.

                        the setting "Mid" makes the XBase slave to MIDI Clock. It does not
                        react when you press START/STOP and begins to run when you start your
                        sequencer (as long as you send MIDIclock). The setting "int" is the
                        opposite. You start and stop the XBase with the START/STOP buttons,
                        but it will not start when you run your sequencer.
                        What I don't understand is why does Logic go in Sync and wait for your
                        XBase to start when the XB is not slaved?

                        > Should I reset the machine and see what happens then or is this
                        > behaviour normal?

                        This is normal behaviour in my understanding and a reset will not fix
                        it - someone correct me if I'm wrong...

                        cheers

                        Georg

                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 2, 2001
                          Heya,
                          sorry, this confuses me a bit. I don't know Logic (Cubase/Atari here)
                          but could it be some Sync setting in Logic? Looks like Logic is
                          configured to be slave.
                          Well, there's a setting in Logic: autosync, which means that if it receives a valid sync signal, it'll automatically change its internal clock and slave to the incoming signal.
                          Did I understand you correctly, that you want
                          to sequence the XBase's insrtuments with Logic and you don't want the
                          XBase to play their patterns?
                          Exactly!!! And this simply doesn't work right now.
                          My suggestion is to set the XBase's clock to "Mid" as before and just
                          choose an empty pattern. Sounds like a workaround
                          That's indeed what I do now, but it's not very practical and the XBase seems to send some signals anyway.

                          Thanks for the help!!!

                          Bye,
                          Joeri
                          --
                          Joeri Vankeirsbilck
                          joeri@...

                          Belway Productions      -     http://www.belway.com
                          List-admin   Logic-users/SoundD*ver-users/Logic-TDM

                        • Alberto Rockuno
                          Message 12 of 25 , Mar 2, 2001
                            >That's what I though and how it is set over here.
                            >Let me rephraze the problem: is it normal that, when sync is
                            >set to "mdi" and the XBase is set to performance mode,
                            >it still plays a pattern when it receives midi clock???

                            Of course, that´s what MIDI Sync is for. The XBase receives notes and
                            controllers always, no matter if Sync is set to "internal" or "MIDI".

                            >It should only play the notes I've played, not any pattern.

                            Several options:
                            a) Set XBase´s clock to "internal".
                            b) Disable "Transmit MIDI clock" in Logic´s synchronization settings.
                            c) Set Logic´s "Transmit MIDI clock" to a MIDI-port different from the one
                            that XBase is connected to.

                            Regarding your problem about Logic waiting for a sync signal from XBase:
                            Probably "Auto Sync In" is enabled in Logic. Disable it.

                            Alberto
                          • Joeri Vankeirsbilck
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 2, 2001
                              Hi,
                              c) Set Logic´s "Transmit MIDI clock" to a MIDI-port different from the one
                              that XBase is connected to.
                              Seems like the best solution for me. Thanks! It also seems to be the only way to switch off the pattern playback.
                              Regarding your problem about Logic waiting for a sync signal from XBase:
                              Probably "Auto Sync In" is enabled in Logic. Disable it.
                              Indeed. But that was only under special circumstances with "special" Logic versions... it was a bug in Logic. It's fixed by now.

                              It's great to receive so much help and tips from you guys! Thanks!!!

                              Bye,
                              Joeri

                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 2, 2001
                              • Joeri Vankeirsbilck
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 2, 2001
                                  Alberto Rockuno wrote:

                                  > c) Set Logic´s "Transmit MIDI clock" to a MIDI-port different from the one
                                  > that XBase is connected to.
                                  >
                                  > Seems like the best solution for me. Thanks! It also seems to be the only way to switch off the pattern playback.
                                  >
                                  > Are you saying, that even when you set your XBase´s clock to "internal", it starts playback on clock receive? This is indeed not normal.

                                  No, but when it's set to internal, then Logic waits for it to start (because of autosync) so I won't use that setting.

                                  Bye,
                                  Joeri

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 2, 2001
                                    >> Are you saying, that even when you set your XBase´s clock to "internal",
                                    >> it starts playback on clock receive? This is indeed not normal.
                                    >
                                    > No, but when it's set to internal, then Logic waits for it to start (because
                                    > of autosync) so I won't use that setting.

                                    O.k., now I get it ... you need to have autosync enabled, because you sync
                                    logic to some else device ...

                                    A.
                                  • Joeri Vankeirsbilck
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 2, 2001
                                      O.k., now I get it ... you need to have autosync enabled, because you sync
                                      logic to some else device ...
                                      Indeed: DA7 desk. ;)  (not always, but very often, that's why I need the autosync feature)

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Mar 2, 2001
                                        On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 21:41:11 +0100, you wrote:

                                        > Well, there's a setting in Logic: autosync, which means that if it
                                        > receives a valid sync signal, it'll automatically change its internal
                                        > clock and slave to the incoming signal.

                                        hmm... I still don't understand why it isn't possible to turn this
                                        *feature* off, as Alberto suggested? You have Logic slaved to the
                                        Xbase's MIDIclock and the XB slaved to Logic. Who is the master then?
                                        And how is the timing in this MIDIclock loop?

                                        > That's indeed what I do now, but it's not very practical and the XBase
                                        > seems to send some signals anyway.

                                        If you don't need it, disconnect the MIDI cable from XB OUT to Logic
                                        IN. If you need the connection for recording controllers, get some
                                        MIDI filter like Hubi's MIDI cable and let only the controllers pass.

                                        ciao

                                        Georg

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Mar 2, 2001
                                          Hi,
                                          >  Well, there's a setting in Logic: autosync, which means that if it
                                          >  receives a valid sync signal, it'll automatically change its internal
                                          >  clock and slave to the incoming signal.
                                          hmm... I still don't understand why it isn't possible to turn this
                                          *feature* off
                                          It is perfectly possible, but as I need to sync Logic to my DA7 now and then, it's much easier to leave it on. Then I just have to start up my desk and everthing is synced automatically.
                                          You have Logic slaved to the
                                          Xbase's MIDIclock and the XB slaved to Logic.
                                          No, definitely not. :)
                                          >  That's indeed what I do now, but it's not very practical and the XBase
                                          >  seems to send some signals anyway.
                                          If you don't need it, disconnect the MIDI cable from XB OUT to Logic
                                          IN. If you need the connection for recording controllers, get some
                                          MIDI filter like Hubi's MIDI cable and let only the controllers pass.
                                          If the XBase is slave, then I don't think it "doubles" the incoming sync signal to its midi out port, so there's no need to set up a filter (PS: the Unitor's can be set up to filter anything: very handy!)

                                          Bye,
                                          Joeri

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Mar 2, 2001
                                            On Sat, 03 Mar 2001 00:50:59 +0100, you wrote:

                                            > It is perfectly possible, but as I need to sync Logic to my DA7 now and
                                            > then, it's much easier to leave it on. Then I just have to start up my
                                            > desk and everthing is synced automatically.

                                            now I understand... :-)

                                            > > You have Logic slaved to the
                                            > > Xbase's MIDIclock and the XB slaved to Logic.
                                            >
                                            > No, definitely not. :)

                                            you are right

                                            > If the XBase is slave, then I don't think it "doubles" the incoming sync
                                            > signal to its midi out port, so there's no need to set up a filter (PS:
                                            > the Unitor's can be set up to filter anything: very handy!)

                                            I just checked it, and the XB, when in slave mode does not send Timing
                                            Clock but Start and Stop (and lots of Note Off Messages in an empty
                                            pattern). So set up your Unitor to filter Start and Stop.

                                            Off to sleep...

                                            Georg

                                            --
                                            :::georg balzer
                                            :::dubracadabra@...
                                            :::tutto il potere ai dilettanti - dario fo
                                          • Doug Singer
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Mar 2, 2001
                                              i guessing this is your problem...

                                              if you're running out of steps in your song sequence, it's probably because
                                              you're not setting up patterns to repeat.

                                              for example, i have patterns a b and c. i could string them together as
                                              follows:

                                              song step: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
                                              pattern: a a a b a a a c a a a b a a a c

                                              this is a very inefficient way of operating the xbase because you can only
                                              have 99 steps (i think).

                                              a more efficient way might look like this, where 'R' stands for the number
                                              of repitions you would program:

                                              song step: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
                                              pattern: aR3 b aR3 c aR3 b aR3 c

                                              as you can see, i've cut the number of steps needed in half very quickly.

                                              another way of reducing the number of steps would be to program patterns in
                                              longer phrases, i.e. 32 setps or 64 steps. the manual will tell you how to
                                              change the length (and time signature if you desire) of patterns.

                                              if you're still long on steps, consider sequencing the xbase externally from
                                              your computer. cubase isn't too difficult to learn and will give you more
                                              than enough flexibility. i even think there are templates to use with
                                              cubase on the JoMox site so that you won't have to map all of the midi
                                              channels yourself, altough a general knowledge of midi will help
                                              considerably.

                                              hope that helps.

                                              Doug

                                            • Saul Goode
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Mar 2, 2001
                                                i slave it in pattern mode to my computer. it would take way too long to
                                                program the xbase with the computer and have it change on every hit. i just
                                                use the computer for volume messages.

                                                just a tip

                                                ksg
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Mar 2, 2001
                                                  > hope that helps.
                                                  >
                                                  > Doug

                                                  doug -- thanks for the reply. i liked the ascii depiction of repeats
                                                  too. that was _very_ informative for me... btw: i did stumble
                                                  upon the last step feature the other night. pretty cool being able
                                                  to stretch the actual length of your measures/bars.

                                                  anyways...

                                                  i've been mucking about on the 'net digging up mixermaps and
                                                  tools for my xbase and my triton. i'd eventually like to get
                                                  everything setup to where i can use it all simultanenously (sp?).

                                                  if it wouldn't be too much trouble to ask, do you think you'd be
                                                  willing to explain your hookup, or maybe just give me a brief
                                                  overview of what connections need to be made, and what
                                                  important software setting changes need to be made in either
                                                  cubase or logic.

                                                  would my triton keyboard get set to midi channel 1, and the
                                                  xbase gets it's own midi channel setting of 2? or does
                                                  everything just share the midi channel 1?

                                                  i haven't really made up my mind as-far-as which one i'd like to
                                                  use exclusively. i've actually had thoughts of spending some
                                                  more hard-earned 'loot on a digi001 by digidesign, i thought i'd
                                                  be able to replace my midi interface and obtain multi-track
                                                  recording i/o with one box... any thoughts on that subject?

                                                  that digi001 comes with protools, this does midi sequencing
                                                  and multi-track recording right? do you know if you can use
                                                  cubase or logic with the digi?

                                                  on another note, it looks like i started WWW3 in this message
                                                  forum. when i first got here today i saw like 20 replies to my
                                                  initial message. i didn't understand half the posts. but i figured
                                                  i'd rip 'em to a txt file for safe-keeping. ;P

                                                  at-any-rate, thanks very much for your clear and concise
                                                  message. i found it very informative and i'll give the song mode
                                                  another whirl.

                                                  ttylater.

                                                  -- ryder (rjerew@...)
                                                • ANTINAME .
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Mar 6, 2001
                                                    I own the Digi001, to awnser your question yes it does work with Logic. It
                                                    only has one set of Midi I/O for sequencing and no extended routing or
                                                    filtering that I am aware of so as far as replacing your Midi Interface I
                                                    suppose that depends on what you have now.
                                                    I also use the Airbase 99, Emagic AMT8 and the Yamaha 01v mixer. They
                                                    all seem to interface nicely. So far I have been recording audio only with
                                                    the Digi001, and have left my drum sequencing up to my Mpc2000.
                                                    I grabbed the Airbase map posted to the list for Logic. I haven't
                                                    sequenced with Logic yet though if anyone has any info or tips on drum
                                                    sequencing within Logic please let me know. I also have Fruity Loops and
                                                    have thought of sequencing there then importing to Logic but I haven't tried
                                                    this yet. Any input would be appreciated.

                                                    ANTINAME