Re: [jomox] Sloppy sequencer timing on XBase 888

  • Bill ambrose
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 10, 2013
      I've used mine on macosx for years with Ableton Live. It has a really solid clock. Have you checked the shuffle screen to makes sure that's all at zero ? you may want to adjust these and then return to zero ?

      On 10 September 2013 02:50, Shagghie <shagghie@...> wrote:

      is it drift, shuffle, swing, groove, latency, or jitter that you see/hear?
      That's the first thing to determine...

      Sent from my mobile device

      On Sep 9, 2013, at 3:15 PM, Matthew Hutchison <dmhutch@...> wrote:

      I can hear it.  Plus I can see it in the daw.

      On Sep 8, 2013 2:01 AM, "punkdISCO" <forums@...> wrote:

      Hi Matt

      So, you are just running the 888 standalone and recording the audio but it has bad timing?  If so, how do you know the timing is out?  Does it just sound out?

      Sounds very strange as all my Jomox units over the years (xbase09 / 888 / 999) have been 100% solid both stand alone and as slave to Ableton Live & Cubase.

      Maybe do a complete factory reset and make sure you are running the latest OS.

      Good luck,

      Paul

      --
      m: 07957 583564
    • matt.hutchison
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 19, 2013
        I've found the timing issues arise when using LFO's and/or the midi out (even very simple patterns).

        Otherwise the timing is solid. I work around it.

        Anyone else use the midi out?

        --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, Bill ambrose <ambrose.bill@...> wrote:

        > I've used mine on macosx for years with Ableton Live. It has a really solid
        > clock. Have you checked the shuffle screen to makes sure that's all at zero
        > ? you may want to adjust these and then return to zero ?
        >

        > On 10 September 2013 02:50, Shagghie <shagghie@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > is it drift, shuffle, swing, groove, latency, or jitter that you see/hear?
        > >
        > > That's the first thing to determine...
        > >
        > > Sent from my mobile device
        > >
        > > On Sep 9, 2013, at 3:15 PM, Matthew Hutchison <dmhutch@...> wrote:
        > >

        > > I can hear it. Plus I can see it in the daw.
        > > On Sep 8, 2013 2:01 AM, "punkdISCO" <forums@...> wrote:
        > >
        > >> **
        > >>

        > >> Hi Matt****
        > >>
        > >> ** **
        > >>
        > >> So, you are just running the 888 standalone and recording the audio but
        > >> it has bad timing? If so, how do you know the timing is out? Does it just
        > >> sound out?****
        > >>
        > >> ** **
        > >>
        > >> Sounds very strange as all my Jomox units over the years (xbase09 / 888 /
        > >> 999) have been 100% solid both stand alone and as slave to Ableton Live &
        > >> Cubase.****
        > >>
        > >> ** **
        > >>
        > >> Maybe do a complete factory reset and make sure you are running the
        > >> latest OS.****
        > >>
        > >> ** **
        > >>
        > >> Good luck,****
        > >>
        > >> ** **
        > >>
        > >> Paul****
        > >>
        > >> London****
        > >>
        > >> www.punkdisco.co.uk****
        > >>

        > --
        > m: 07957 583564

      • Alx002 Yahoo
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 19, 2013
          Sometimes I use midi out to seq some synths with the internal sequencer.
          For the sloppy seq it depends of your DAW and your midi interface!
          Today DAW are so powerful in audio but very very bad with midi!
          On Osx Logic is good, Live induces latency in some case ..... But I'm on Protools which is not the best for Midi  beat clock!

          www.soundcloud.com/alx002

          Le 19 oct. 2013 à 18:44, "matt.hutchison" <dmhutch@...> a écrit :

          I've found the timing issues arise when using LFO's and/or the midi out (even very simple patterns).

          Otherwise the timing is solid. I work around it.

          Anyone else use the midi out?

          --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, Bill ambrose <ambrose.bill@...> wrote:

          > I've used mine on macosx for years with Ableton Live. It has a really solid
          > clock. Have you checked the shuffle screen to makes sure that's all at zero
          > ? you may want to adjust these and then return to zero ?
          >

          > On 10 September 2013 02:50, Shagghie <shagghie@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > is it drift, shuffle, swing, groove, latency, or jitter that you see/hear?
          > >
          > > That's the first thing to determine...
          > >
          > > Sent from my mobile device
          > >
          > > On Sep 9, 2013, at 3:15 PM, Matthew Hutchison <dmhutch@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > I can hear it. Plus I can see it in the daw.
          > > On Sep 8, 2013 2:01 AM, "punkdISCO" <forums@...> wrote:
          > >
          > >> **
          > >>

          > >> Hi Matt****
          > >>
          > >> ** **
          > >>
          > >> So, you are just running the 888 standalone and recording the audio but
          > >> it has bad timing? If so, how do you know the timing is out? Does it just
          > >> sound out?****
          > >>
          > >> ** **
          > >>
          > >> Sounds very strange as all my Jomox units over the years (xbase09 / 888 /
          > >> 999) have been 100% solid both stand alone and as slave to Ableton Live &
          > >> Cubase.****
          > >>
          > >> ** **
          > >>
          > >> Maybe do a complete factory reset and make sure you are running the
          > >> latest OS.****
          > >>
          > >> ** **
          > >>
          > >> Good luck,****
          > >>
          > >> ** **
          > >>
          > >> Paul****
          > >>
          > >> London****
          > >>
          > >> www.punkdisco.co.uk****
          > >>

          > --
          > m: 07957 583564

        • matt.hutchison
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 19, 2013
            I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I'm using the midi out on the jomox, i.e. the midi tracks. This has nothing to do with my DAW. At the time I was seeing this issue I wasn't connected to my DAW at all.

            And yea Pro Tools midi sucked when I used it but that was 10 years ago. FL has the tightest timing I've heard for sequencing, but I've only used Digital Performer, Pro Tools, MPC 4000 for comparison.

            --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, Alx002 Yahoo <alx002@...> wrote:

            > Sometimes I use midi out to seq some synths with the internal sequencer.
            > For the sloppy seq it depends of your DAW and your midi interface!
            > Today DAW are so powerful in audio but very very bad with midi!
            > On Osx Logic is good, Live induces latency in some case ..... But I'm on Protools which is not the best for Midi beat clock!
            >
            > www.soundcloud.com/alx002
            >
            > > Le 19 oct. 2013 à 18:44, "matt.hutchison" <dmhutch@...> a écrit :
            > >
            > > I've found the timing issues arise when using LFO's and/or the midi out (even very simple patterns).
            > >
            > > Otherwise the timing is solid. I work around it.
            > >
            > > Anyone else use the midi out?
            > >
            > > --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, Bill ambrose <ambrose.bill@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I've used mine on macosx for years with Ableton Live. It has a really solid
            > > > clock. Have you checked the shuffle screen to makes sure that's all at zero
            > > > ? you may want to adjust these and then return to zero ?

            > > > --
            > > > m: 07957 583564

          • Alx002 Yahoo
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 19, 2013
              So if I understand your problem of sloppy sequencer is in Master clock ( standalone )?

              www.soundcloud.com/alx002