Re: Airbase '99 with orange reverse LCD

  • rtype808
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 6, 2013
      hi its from mouser: http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Newhaven-Display/NHD-0216K1Z-NSO-FBW-L/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduhTBhPvdpeAM8c3qC5vPFfAQwd4NGdxNG8cEkJjBhU5htyv%2fPU6RDeY

      But note there is a frame inside with 4 screws and this does not quite line up to the 4 screw holes on the New display. So i put two of the screws in and then used a piece of cardboard to ensure the display was pushed up against the square hole. I will probably come back and fix this with a neater solution.

      I think you have to swap one of the cables over to enable the 'neg' backlight. I can elaborate on this is if anyone is interested.

      It does require soldering skills but its not too complicated and can be done with a straight iron.

      FInally, i think its worth adding a flat ferrite core to the ribbon cable, between display and board to reduce any interference. You can probably order this from Mouser too.

      --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, hans wurst <kunztoph@...> wrote:

      > hey, that looks great!: do you have a part number?
      > thanks and cheers
      > kris
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Brooks Mosher
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 7, 2013
        I just want to express a BIG thank you for this information.  :)

        Brooks

        --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, hans wurst wrote:

        > hey, that looks great!: do you have a part number?
        > thanks and cheers
        > kris
        >

        > ________________________________

      • ebbflo
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 10, 2013
          Hi,

          Thanks for the link.
          Please elaborate on the "cable swap". I'll be ordering the part soon.

          Best,
          Neil

          --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "rtype808" <rtype808@...> wrote:

          > hi its from mouser: http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Newhaven-Display/NHD-0216K1Z-NSO-FBW-L/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduhTBhPvdpeAM8c3qC5vPFfAQwd4NGdxNG8cEkJjBhU5htyv%2fPU6RDeY
          >
          > But note there is a frame inside with 4 screws and this does not quite line up to the 4 screw holes on the New display. So i put two of the screws in and then used a piece of cardboard to ensure the display was pushed up against the square hole. I will probably come back and fix this with a neater solution.
          >
          > I think you have to swap one of the cables over to enable the 'neg' backlight. I can elaborate on this is if anyone is interested.
          >
          > It does require soldering skills but its not too complicated and can be done with a straight iron.
          >
          > FInally, i think its worth adding a flat ferrite core to the ribbon cable, between display and board to reduce any interference. You can probably order this from Mouser too.
          >

          > --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, hans wurst <kunztoph@> wrote:
          > >
          > > hey, that looks great!: do you have a part number?
          > > thanks and cheers
          > > kris
          > >

          > > ________________________________

        • rtype808
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 11, 2013
            hi,
            i'll open my airbase up and take some shots to show you what is required. Have you sourced a ferrite flat core?
            also the jomox doesn't seem to come with a protective plastic shield for the LCD. If you are ordering i'd get one of those too

            --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "ebbflo" <neil@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Thanks for the link.
            > Please elaborate on the "cable swap". I'll be ordering the part soon.
            >
            > Best,
            > Neil
            >
            > --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "rtype808" <rtype808@> wrote:
            > >
            > > hi its from mouser: http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Newhaven-Display/NHD-0216K1Z-NSO-FBW-L/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduhTBhPvdpeAM8c3qC5vPFfAQwd4NGdxNG8cEkJjBhU5htyv%2fPU6RDeY
            > >
            > > But note there is a frame inside with 4 screws and this does not quite line up to the 4 screw holes on the New display. So i put two of the screws in and then used a piece of cardboard to ensure the display was pushed up against the square hole. I will probably come back and fix this with a neater solution.
            > >
            > > I think you have to swap one of the cables over to enable the 'neg' backlight. I can elaborate on this is if anyone is interested.
            > >
            > > It does require soldering skills but its not too complicated and can be done with a straight iron.
            > >
            > > FInally, i think its worth adding a flat ferrite core to the ribbon cable, between display and board to reduce any interference. You can probably order this from Mouser too.
            > >

            > > --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, hans wurst <kunztoph@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > hey, that looks great!: do you have a part number?
            > > > thanks and cheers
            > > > kris
            > > >

            > > > ________________________________

          • ebbflo
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 11, 2013
              Many thanks.
              "ferrite flat core?" :Yes, Mouser has them. I'll post a part# when I order.
              I will look for a protective shield as well.

              Thanks again

              --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "rtype808" <rajahpatel@...> wrote:

              > hi,
              > i'll open my airbase up and take some shots to show you what is required. Have you sourced a ferrite flat core?
              > also the jomox doesn't seem to come with a protective plastic shield for the LCD. If you are ordering i'd get one of those too
              >
              > --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "ebbflo" <neil@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > Thanks for the link.
              > > Please elaborate on the "cable swap". I'll be ordering the part soon.
              > >
              > > Best,
              > > Neil
              > >
              > > --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "rtype808" <rtype808@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > hi its from mouser: http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Newhaven-Display/NHD-0216K1Z-NSO-FBW-L/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduhTBhPvdpeAM8c3qC5vPFfAQwd4NGdxNG8cEkJjBhU5htyv%2fPU6RDeY
              > > >
              > > > But note there is a frame inside with 4 screws and this does not quite line up to the 4 screw holes on the New display. So i put two of the screws in and then used a piece of cardboard to ensure the display was pushed up against the square hole. I will probably come back and fix this with a neater solution.
              > > >
              > > > I think you have to swap one of the cables over to enable the 'neg' backlight. I can elaborate on this is if anyone is interested.
              > > >
              > > > It does require soldering skills but its not too complicated and can be done with a straight iron.
              > > >
              > > > FInally, i think its worth adding a flat ferrite core to the ribbon cable, between display and board to reduce any interference. You can probably order this from Mouser too.

            • rtype808
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 11, 2013
                search lcd bezel. look up the datasheet for the newhaven display and see if you can find a match. Please let us know what you buy. I will be looking for one these bezels on my next Mouser order.
                --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "ebbflo" <neil@...> wrote:

                > Many thanks.
                > "ferrite flat core?" :Yes, Mouser has them. I'll post a part# when I order.
                > I will look for a protective shield as well.
                >
                > Thanks again
                >
                > --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "rtype808" <rajahpatel@> wrote:
                > >
                > > hi,
                > > i'll open my airbase up and take some shots to show you what is required. Have you sourced a ferrite flat core?
                > > also the jomox doesn't seem to come with a protective plastic shield for the LCD. If you are ordering i'd get one of those too
                > >
                > > --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "ebbflo" <neil@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi,
                > > >
                > > > Thanks for the link.
                > > > Please elaborate on the "cable swap". I'll be ordering the part soon.
                > > >
                > > > Best,
                > > > Neil

              • rtype808
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 2, 2013
                  how did you get on?

                  --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "ebbflo" <neil@...> wrote:

                  > Many thanks.
                  > "ferrite flat core?" :Yes, Mouser has them. I'll post a part# when I order.
                  > I will look for a protective shield as well.
                  >
                  > Thanks again
                  >
                  > --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "rtype808" <rajahpatel@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > hi,
                  > > i'll open my airbase up and take some shots to show you what is required. Have you sourced a ferrite flat core?
                  > > also the jomox doesn't seem to come with a protective plastic shield for the LCD. If you are ordering i'd get one of those too
                  > >
                  > > --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "ebbflo" <neil@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi,
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks for the link.
                  > > > Please elaborate on the "cable swap". I'll be ordering the part soon.
                  > > >
                  > > > Best,
                  > > > Neil

                • ebbflo
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 6, 2013
                    I finally remembered to include a display in my mouser order...
                    Swap went just fine and looks fantastic and is much easier to see.
                    A couple of things that seemed to differ in my airbase(but no big deal):
                    1.my airbase has a bezel(but i never found one either)
                    2. my airbase only had two spots a long the top for screws to attach the display and the holes in the new display were two small for the screws. I just drilled the holes to a slightly greater diameter but it was easy. I also used a couple of acrylic washers to space the display and the bezel correctly.

                    thanks again for the part# and tip

                    oh yeah, for anyone doing this, the cable swap is pretty straight forward and apparent. The original display is connected with the pads 15 and 16 swapped in reverse sequence of wires 15 and 16 on the ribbon cable. The new display wire 15 connects to pad 15 and 16 to 16.

                  • rtype808
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 8, 2013
                      hi its good to hear that it went well for you.
                      I haven't found a bezel either but did find a ferrite flat core for the ribbon.
                      I don't think it loses anything without the bezel