Re: [jomox] Airbase '99 with orange reverse LCD

  • Brooks Mosher
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 14, 2013
      That looks great!  I'm really interested in replacing my LCD as well.

      What's the part# for that orange LCD?

      Thanks  :)

      Brooks

      On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 7:59 AM, rtype808 <rtype808@...> wrote:

      hi, i have just replaced the green lcd with an orange one which, is more in keeping with overall style of the unit.

      Orange Lcd (neg)

    • Wheaton, Simon
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 14, 2013
        Yes, very nice.

        +1 for part number?

        Straight drop in replacement, any mods or other parts required?

        Thanks,
        Simon
        Canberra
        AUSTRALIA

        That looks great!  I'm really interested in replacing my LCD as well.

        What's the part# for that orange LCD?

        Thanks  :)
        Brooks

        On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 7:59 AM, rtype808 <rtype808@...> wrote:

        hi, i have just replaced the green lcd with an orange one which, is more in keeping with overall style of the unit.

        Orange Lcd (neg)

        ---

        CIT is the ACT Large Training Provider of the Year.
        Subscribe to CIT Industry Connection - CIT's free, bi monthly publication:
        http://cit.edu.au/industry_business/industry_connection/

      • Breska
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 19, 2013
          that's beautiful!
           good job

          hi, i have just replaced the green lcd with an orange one which, is more in keeping with overall style of the unit.

          Orange Lcd (neg)
        • hans wurst
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 19, 2013
            hey, that looks great!: do you have a part number?
            thanks and cheers
            kris

            hi, i have just replaced the green lcd with an orange one which, is more in keeping with overall style of the unit.

            Orange Lcd (neg)

          • rtype808
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 6, 2013
              hi its from mouser: http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Newhaven-Display/NHD-0216K1Z-NSO-FBW-L/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduhTBhPvdpeAM8c3qC5vPFfAQwd4NGdxNG8cEkJjBhU5htyv%2fPU6RDeY

              But note there is a frame inside with 4 screws and this does not quite line up to the 4 screw holes on the New display. So i put two of the screws in and then used a piece of cardboard to ensure the display was pushed up against the square hole. I will probably come back and fix this with a neater solution.

              I think you have to swap one of the cables over to enable the 'neg' backlight. I can elaborate on this is if anyone is interested.

              It does require soldering skills but its not too complicated and can be done with a straight iron.

              FInally, i think its worth adding a flat ferrite core to the ribbon cable, between display and board to reduce any interference. You can probably order this from Mouser too.

              --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, hans wurst <kunztoph@...> wrote:

              > hey, that looks great!: do you have a part number?
              > thanks and cheers
              > kris
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Brooks Mosher
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 7, 2013
                I just want to express a BIG thank you for this information.  :)

                Brooks

                --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, hans wurst wrote:

                > hey, that looks great!: do you have a part number?
                > thanks and cheers
                > kris
                >

                > ________________________________

              • ebbflo
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 10, 2013
                  Hi,

                  Thanks for the link.
                  Please elaborate on the "cable swap". I'll be ordering the part soon.

                  Best,
                  Neil

                  --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "rtype808" <rtype808@...> wrote:

                  > hi its from mouser: http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Newhaven-Display/NHD-0216K1Z-NSO-FBW-L/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduhTBhPvdpeAM8c3qC5vPFfAQwd4NGdxNG8cEkJjBhU5htyv%2fPU6RDeY
                  >
                  > But note there is a frame inside with 4 screws and this does not quite line up to the 4 screw holes on the New display. So i put two of the screws in and then used a piece of cardboard to ensure the display was pushed up against the square hole. I will probably come back and fix this with a neater solution.
                  >
                  > I think you have to swap one of the cables over to enable the 'neg' backlight. I can elaborate on this is if anyone is interested.
                  >
                  > It does require soldering skills but its not too complicated and can be done with a straight iron.
                  >
                  > FInally, i think its worth adding a flat ferrite core to the ribbon cable, between display and board to reduce any interference. You can probably order this from Mouser too.
                  >

                  > --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, hans wurst <kunztoph@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > hey, that looks great!: do you have a part number?
                  > > thanks and cheers
                  > > kris
                  > >

                  > > ________________________________

                • rtype808
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 11, 2013
                    hi,
                    i'll open my airbase up and take some shots to show you what is required. Have you sourced a ferrite flat core?
                    also the jomox doesn't seem to come with a protective plastic shield for the LCD. If you are ordering i'd get one of those too

                    --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "ebbflo" <neil@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > Thanks for the link.
                    > Please elaborate on the "cable swap". I'll be ordering the part soon.
                    >
                    > Best,
                    > Neil
                    >
                    > --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "rtype808" <rtype808@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > hi its from mouser: http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Newhaven-Display/NHD-0216K1Z-NSO-FBW-L/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduhTBhPvdpeAM8c3qC5vPFfAQwd4NGdxNG8cEkJjBhU5htyv%2fPU6RDeY
                    > >
                    > > But note there is a frame inside with 4 screws and this does not quite line up to the 4 screw holes on the New display. So i put two of the screws in and then used a piece of cardboard to ensure the display was pushed up against the square hole. I will probably come back and fix this with a neater solution.
                    > >
                    > > I think you have to swap one of the cables over to enable the 'neg' backlight. I can elaborate on this is if anyone is interested.
                    > >
                    > > It does require soldering skills but its not too complicated and can be done with a straight iron.
                    > >
                    > > FInally, i think its worth adding a flat ferrite core to the ribbon cable, between display and board to reduce any interference. You can probably order this from Mouser too.
                    > >

                    > > --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, hans wurst <kunztoph@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > hey, that looks great!: do you have a part number?
                    > > > thanks and cheers
                    > > > kris
                    > > >

                    > > > ________________________________

                  • ebbflo
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 11, 2013
                      Many thanks.
                      "ferrite flat core?" :Yes, Mouser has them. I'll post a part# when I order.
                      I will look for a protective shield as well.

                      Thanks again

                      --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "rtype808" <rajahpatel@...> wrote:

                      > hi,
                      > i'll open my airbase up and take some shots to show you what is required. Have you sourced a ferrite flat core?
                      > also the jomox doesn't seem to come with a protective plastic shield for the LCD. If you are ordering i'd get one of those too
                      >
                      > --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "ebbflo" <neil@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi,
                      > >
                      > > Thanks for the link.
                      > > Please elaborate on the "cable swap". I'll be ordering the part soon.
                      > >
                      > > Best,
                      > > Neil
                      > >
                      > > --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "rtype808" <rtype808@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > hi its from mouser: http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Newhaven-Display/NHD-0216K1Z-NSO-FBW-L/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduhTBhPvdpeAM8c3qC5vPFfAQwd4NGdxNG8cEkJjBhU5htyv%2fPU6RDeY
                      > > >
                      > > > But note there is a frame inside with 4 screws and this does not quite line up to the 4 screw holes on the New display. So i put two of the screws in and then used a piece of cardboard to ensure the display was pushed up against the square hole. I will probably come back and fix this with a neater solution.
                      > > >
                      > > > I think you have to swap one of the cables over to enable the 'neg' backlight. I can elaborate on this is if anyone is interested.
                      > > >
                      > > > It does require soldering skills but its not too complicated and can be done with a straight iron.
                      > > >
                      > > > FInally, i think its worth adding a flat ferrite core to the ribbon cable, between display and board to reduce any interference. You can probably order this from Mouser too.

                    • rtype808
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 11, 2013
                        search lcd bezel. look up the datasheet for the newhaven display and see if you can find a match. Please let us know what you buy. I will be looking for one these bezels on my next Mouser order.
                        --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "ebbflo" <neil@...> wrote:

                        > Many thanks.
                        > "ferrite flat core?" :Yes, Mouser has them. I'll post a part# when I order.
                        > I will look for a protective shield as well.
                        >
                        > Thanks again
                        >
                        > --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "rtype808" <rajahpatel@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > hi,
                        > > i'll open my airbase up and take some shots to show you what is required. Have you sourced a ferrite flat core?
                        > > also the jomox doesn't seem to come with a protective plastic shield for the LCD. If you are ordering i'd get one of those too
                        > >
                        > > --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "ebbflo" <neil@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Hi,
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks for the link.
                        > > > Please elaborate on the "cable swap". I'll be ordering the part soon.
                        > > >
                        > > > Best,
                        > > > Neil

                      • rtype808
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 2, 2013
                          how did you get on?

                          --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "ebbflo" <neil@...> wrote:

                          > Many thanks.
                          > "ferrite flat core?" :Yes, Mouser has them. I'll post a part# when I order.
                          > I will look for a protective shield as well.
                          >
                          > Thanks again
                          >
                          > --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "rtype808" <rajahpatel@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > hi,
                          > > i'll open my airbase up and take some shots to show you what is required. Have you sourced a ferrite flat core?
                          > > also the jomox doesn't seem to come with a protective plastic shield for the LCD. If you are ordering i'd get one of those too
                          > >
                          > > --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "ebbflo" <neil@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Hi,
                          > > >
                          > > > Thanks for the link.
                          > > > Please elaborate on the "cable swap". I'll be ordering the part soon.
                          > > >
                          > > > Best,
                          > > > Neil

                        • ebbflo
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jul 6 7:27 PM
                            I finally remembered to include a display in my mouser order...
                            Swap went just fine and looks fantastic and is much easier to see.
                            A couple of things that seemed to differ in my airbase(but no big deal):
                            1.my airbase has a bezel(but i never found one either)
                            2. my airbase only had two spots a long the top for screws to attach the display and the holes in the new display were two small for the screws. I just drilled the holes to a slightly greater diameter but it was easy. I also used a couple of acrylic washers to space the display and the bezel correctly.

                            thanks again for the part# and tip

                            oh yeah, for anyone doing this, the cable swap is pretty straight forward and apparent. The original display is connected with the pads 15 and 16 swapped in reverse sequence of wires 15 and 16 on the ribbon cable. The new display wire 15 connects to pad 15 and 16 to 16.

                          • rtype808
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 8 1:53 AM
                              hi its good to hear that it went well for you.
                              I haven't found a bezel either but did find a ferrite flat core for the ribbon.
                              I don't think it loses anything without the bezel