R Neuronium midi (1.07)

  • Gene Schwartz
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 6, 2006
      R Neuronium midi (1.07) I’m finding that midi operation is so unreliable as to be useless...

      Pretty much nothing works – the first neuron works ok, but somewhat unpredictably. Higher number ones tend to not function at all. I’m in the  multimode, so it should be receiving on channels 1-6 – and occasionally I get indications that the other channels are working – very sporadic successes, but they tend to make no sound, and no edits have any effect – volume, the wave number, etc. I have also gotten some very strange display glitches that make me a bit nervous.

      I was hoping to use midi with it, since that’s the only way to sequence pitches, and both the p3 and Numerology can do pretty much what the internal sequencer can do....but I’m not having any luck.

      I love this machine, for all its quirks, and I’d just like to get this verified – does it work, should it work, will it work, should I avoid it.

      I wasn’t sending any controllers, and I turned off the midi clock transmission also.

      Also – someone (from the rn group) at one point that you could sequence the waves from the internal sequencer by using the GEKO reverse setting in the stimulus edit....but I’m not getting that to work. I seem to recall that it used to work in 1.03, so maybe I’m not doing it right?

      Ah – I sold my first RN to get the Sunsyn, but missed it way too much, and my new one arrived on Monday.
    • lsc5h4g
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 6, 2006
        Well, luckily my sunsyn shipped with 1.22 already loaded. It's only
        the microkorg that causes the reboots. In contrast, sequencing the
        sunsyn from my MEK is flawless, even at high bpms and 32 resolution
        sequences coming from the MEK. And the MEK is sending out midi cock
        as well, so the sunsyn is fine with that. (I sync the LFO's to that as
        well)

        Stupid korg, I just sold that POS. If anyone can suggest a
        compatible midi-controller, 25 key, please do.

        --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, Gene Schwartz <implode7@...> wrote:

        > > ³Now, the only problem I'm having is that my microkorg keeps making my
        > > sunsyn reboot. It plays midi notes fine, but when I use the Korg's
        > > Arp to drive the 'syn, it gets whacked out, and twice it has rebooted
        > > it.... ³
        > >
        > > Please make sure that you have the latest firmware ­ 1.22. It¹s
        not a good
        > > sign that the sunsyn is freaking out ­ if you keep on doing what¹s
        making that
        > > happen, you might wind up having a bad experience. IN any case ­
        1.22 is more
        > > stable than the previous couple of versions, and I highly
        recommend you
        > > install it. If you¹re just sending notes there shouldn¹t be an
        issue, but the
        > > korg must be sending something else, and 1.22 fixes some issues
        with midi
        > > controllers.
        > >

        > > --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com <mailto:jomox%40yahoogroups.com> , watson

        ps are

        > > work,
        Only the

        > > etc.!

      • Michaelis
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 6, 2006
          R Neuronium midi (1.07)
          hä??

          I can't reproduce this...with me the neuronium works midiwise very well. You can gate the neuron VCAs in either single or multi mode.
          This is strange.
          The only thing that is not really recommendable is controlling the R.N. by remote "display"controllers, but that's the deep functionality.

          Honestly, best working mode is to syncronise  the internal sequ. with midiclock and leave the VCAs open.

          regarding the other threads...I can'T respond to now because we are reaaaallly busy here on X999 production and programming. But the future X999 rack ears will certainly not include the woods;)

          Thansk for the tip with the microkorg...will investigate when I have time what midi messages brings the sunsyn to freak out.

          all the best,
          Jürgen Michaelis

        • implode7@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 6, 2006
            hmmm - I'd be curious as to what the microkorg is sending out that causes the allergic reaction.

            From: "lsc5h4g" <shagghie@...>

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 6, 2006
              That's very curious - I simply can't get it to work with any consistency at all. I understand that the most stable mode would be the internal sequencer, but given the additional capabilities to control pitch I'd really like to use midi.

              what could I possibly be missing? Have set to multi mode and unisyn is off....I'm not sending much data - I encounter problems as soon as I start sending on the second channel. I've tried only with Numerology so far, but I don't see how that could be the problem....I'll try again tonight.

              Also - is there any way of having the geko values sequence the different wave choices - I think you used to be able to do this by choosing one of the values in the reverse parameter?

              From: "Michaelis" <mich@...>
              > R Neuronium midi (1.07)h���
              >
              > I can't reproduce this...with me the neuronium works midiwise very well. You can
              > gate the neuron VCAs in either single or multi mode.
              > This is strange.
              > The only thing that is not really recommendable is controlling the R.N. by
              > remote "display"controllers, but that's the deep functionality.
              >
              > Honestly, best working mode is to syncronise the internal sequ. with midiclock
              > and leave the VCAs open.
              >
              > regarding the other threads...I can'T respond to now because we are reaaaallly
              > busy here on X999 production and programming. But the future X999 rack ears will
              > certainly not include the woods;)
              >
              > Thansk for the tip with the microkorg...will investigate when I have time what
              > midi messages brings the sunsyn to freak out.
              >
              > all the best,
              > J?Michaelis

            • Gene Schwartz
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 8, 2006
                Advanced midi functions/neuronium 1.07 Ha – well, you can’t sell an expensive insane device like this and not expect some serious questioning...

                Some questions:
                Given the new pitch control functionality of 1.07, the triggering of envelopes through midi is less necessary.  However, I confirmed over and over again that the triggering of envelopes is problematic through midi – it seems like neuron 1 works ok, but the others tend to lose sound when waves other than #1 and #9 and above are used. This is weird, but has happened over and over and over again. So something is definitely up here.

                Given the above – any chance of the envelopes working with the internal sequencer? Seems like (I think this is confirmed by the manual) the envelope settings only work when triggering the envelopes through midi.

                I’m a little confused about cc # 88.

                First – I wish that it wouldn’t interrupt the focus of the RN display. This makes it hard to edit the RN while you’re sending these controllers to it. Why is it desirable to have this controller change the display, unless this is a technical limitation?

                I’d also like a more precise explanation of how this controller works when you’re using a function that requires multiple neuron button presses – say the fm button. Can you describe how exactly this works?

                Also – why isn’t the summing node included if the fm is? Again – some technical limitation?

                Just trying to understand this as best I can to produce maximum repeatable control over maximum craziness.