Re: [jomox] sunsyn - fan replacement

  • Michaelis
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 8, 2006
      hi,

      when I was designing the synth we have taken so much care to get a real
      silent fan...it is the most silent "papst" fan you can purchase in the
      industrial market.

      the noise doesn't come from the fan but from the pwm regulation...and this
      cannot be changed, I'm sorry.

      when I build another "MoonSyn" anywhere, anytime and if ever, I will make a
      big housing around it that can consume the heating of the analog pcbs just
      by convection. It's only mechanics.

      It's annoying, I know, and sometimes it disturbes me also...but we can't
      change it.

      If someone really gets into it...remove the side panels and run it open, and
      remove the fans just by disconnecting them. but this, my friends, haven't
      said I because this can't be official.

      Best Wishes,

      Jürgen Michaelis
      Jomox GmbH

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 8, 2006
        --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "Michaelis" <mich@...> wrote:

        > hi,
        >
        > when I was designing the synth we have taken so much care to get a
        real
        > silent fan...it is the most silent "papst" fan you can purchase in
        the
        > industrial market.
        >
        > the noise doesn't come from the fan but from the pwm
        regulation...and this
        > cannot be changed, I'm sorry.
        >
        > when I build another "MoonSyn" anywhere, anytime and if ever, I
        will make a
        > big housing around it that can consume the heating of the analog
        pcbs just
        > by convection. It's only mechanics.

        SunSyn, MoonSyn :) the heavenly bodies that Roland left out?!
        is there any hope for poor pluto? :(
      • pixfodase
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 9, 2006
          hey Juergen,
          I thought the fans were the ones making the buzz. No problem then.
          Rui

          > the noise doesn't come from the fan but from the pwm regulation...and
          this
          > cannot be changed, I'm sorry.

        • Michaelis
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 9, 2006
            I'll make a granular synth called Kuiper-Bell 3000

            ;)

            I think pluto is a good name for a dog...

            Brav, Pluto, sitz...

            (german)

            > SunSyn, MoonSyn :) the heavenly bodies that Roland left out?!
            > is there any hope for poor pluto? :(
          • watson
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 10, 2006
              so we stil await the moonsyn, the monosynth with two mixed up
              letters. i really do wish for you to make a monosynth, but please
              after the song mode is oncorporated to the 999. i really really need
              it for my shit cause i dont use no stinkin computers for sequencing,
              i love hardware shit and thats what the xbase series is all about to
              me

              hehehe

              thank jurgen for making great products i have owned/own evey product
              you have put out and i have never been dissapointed, right now im
              sporting 999, sunsyn, mbase and resonator neuronium, now all i need
              to complete me is the Filtonium and a jomox monosynth.....

              by the way how is the filtonium coming along... i have really been
              looking forward to this for years!! please let us know how the
              progress on this is coming along...would a preorder from some of the
              most devoted fans speed up the process?

              --
              i warned you not to go out tonight...
            • Michaelis
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 13, 2006
                Hi watson,

                thanks so much for using all the jomox gear. I'm very impressed:) I think I
                should hook up all my units in the way you do...honestly seldom can do it,
                I'm mostly working.
                As for the filtonium...I'm sorry, this idea has been running around my brain
                since 1997, no kidding.
                I made some starts over those years, but never really had the time to
                complete it. The controllers are the real problem, didn't want to use those
                boring ribbon controllers, but probably it'll be so because there are so
                many technical hurdles with true "string" controllers. Got them since more
                than a year in the lab;)
                Not even a preorder could speed it up now. I have to start from scratch.
                Once in a half year people call me here and are exited about it. Then
                silence.
                It takes time though...

                Next job is the x999 OS completion. Then we'll see what's next;)

                jürgen

                > so we stil await the moonsyn, the monosynth with two mixed up
                > letters. i really do wish for you to make a monosynth, but please
                > after the song mode is oncorporated to the 999. i really really need
                > it for my shit cause i dont use no stinkin computers for sequencing,
                > i love hardware shit and thats what the xbase series is all about to
                > me
                >
                > hehehe
                >
                > thank jurgen for making great products i have owned/own evey product
                > you have put out and i have never been dissapointed, right now im
                > sporting 999, sunsyn, mbase and resonator neuronium, now all i need
                > to complete me is the Filtonium and a jomox monosynth.....
                >
                > by the way how is the filtonium coming along... i have really been
                > looking forward to this for years!! please let us know how the
                > progress on this is coming along...would a preorder from some of the
                > most devoted fans speed up the process?
                >

                > On 11/9/06, Michaelis <mich@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > I'll make a granular synth called Kuiper-Bell 3000
                > >
                > > ;)
                > >
                > > I think pluto is a good name for a dog...
                > >
                > > Brav, Pluto, sitz...
                > >
                > > (german)
                > >
                > > > SunSyn, MoonSyn :) the heavenly bodies that Roland left out?!
                > > > is there any hope for poor pluto? :(
                > >

                > --
                > i warned you not to go out tonight...

              • analogback
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 17, 2006
                  hi jürgen,
                  nothing to do with the sunsyn fan but is it possible to buy some
                  replacement x-base step buttons? i have some intermittent ones..

                • lsc5h4g
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 23, 2006
                    I recommend to either Juergen or anyone with enough courage to replace
                    their fan to buy those special silicon rubber 'screws' to hold it in
                    place, as opposed to the standard metal screws that come with the
                    fans. These silicon 'plugs' substitute for the metal screws and do not
                    allow fan noise to pass through to the sunsyn chassis and resonate the
                    fan noise.

                    Also, for Juergen... many people don't happen to know this, but the
                    smaller the fan, the more noise it makes... and the bigger the fan,
                    the less noise it makes. Ergo, if standard PC fans are currently
                    being used, perhaps going from the 4" ones to the 6" ones would help
                    alliviate the fan noise that can be a bother in a studio.

                    That all depends on if a) standard PC fans are even used b) how they
                    are currently mounted (perhaps screws aren't even used in the sunsyn?)
                    and c) if there is enough room in the chassis to afford a bigger fan.

                    Bigger fans move more air too, and still run off the same voltage
                    (usually 12v).

                    HTH,
                    Shagghie
                    (*should be getting his SunSyn soon!)

                    --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "ALEX" <alx002@...> wrote:

                    > Oups I dd'nt see this question!!!
                    >
                    > A good question !!!
                    >
                    > Juergen any tips for that .....cause since I replaced my old Apple
                    G4 for a MACPRO ....I