X-Base 999 as a Live Centrpiece? - Needs Midi Track Mutes!!

  • jigginz280
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 7, 2005
      Been looking at the X-Base 999 and started to imagine the amazing
      posibilties of using this thing as the centrpiece of a live act until
      i came across a little hurdle.

      There are 5 midi sequencer tracks which could be used to trigger
      sampled loops and sequence bass and leadlines etc, which, with a bit
      of creativity and pre planning, one could create a big sound when
      combined with the onboard drums.

      But herein lies the problem:
      For those that have any experience with live sequencing, one of the
      best features of all the best hardware sequencers, is the ability to
      mute individual tracks in and out using dedicated track mute buttons.

      The Alesis MMT8 was made famous by it's great usefulness in a live
      situation due to it having 8 big track mute buttons that were just
      perfect for bringing parts of the song in and out, so if the 999
      could have this feature built in, i believe Jomox would be onto a
      winner.
      Hooked up to a couple of bass synths and a sampler, and using the
      track mute buttons, the 999 would be a killer centrepiece!!

      I also love the idea of the onboard multimode filter, route all the
      sequenced bass synths and samples through it and tweak away. Hell you
      could even run the onboard drums through it by routing the individual
      outs to the stereo in it for that filtered drum sound, nice!

      Dear Juergen, we need onboard Track Mutes of all drums and sequencer
      tracks........if it's not too late??

      Cheers
      James
    • wcskewes@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 7, 2005
        I agree.  Quasimidi did a good job at this with the 309 and Sirius.

[...]

        <FONT COLOR="#000099">Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease?
        </FONT><A HREF="http://us.click.yahoo.com/pKxVKC/UOnJAA/n1hLAA/QnLolB/TM"><B>Click
        Here!</B></A>

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Michaelis
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 7, 2005
          Hi,

          it will have a mute function for audio and midi as 2nd function with the
          instrument keys, but extra mute buttons are not possible to integrate into
          the design. It is just too expensive to have extra knobs and extra buttons
          for every special function. It is finished, anyway.

          Best Wishes,

          Jürgen Michaelis
          -------------------------------------
          JoMoX El. Musikinstrumente GmbH
          Körtestr. 10 * 10967 Berlin * Germany
          Tel +49(0) 61702573
          Fax +49(0) 61702574
          mail@...

          www.jomox.de * www.jayemsonic.de

          > Been looking at the X-Base 999 and started to imagine the amazing
          > posibilties of using this thing as the centrpiece of a live act until
          > i came across a little hurdle.
          >
          > There are 5 midi sequencer tracks which could be used to trigger
          > sampled loops and sequence bass and leadlines etc, which, with a bit
          > of creativity and pre planning, one could create a big sound when
          > combined with the onboard drums.
          >
          > But herein lies the problem:
          > For those that have any experience with live sequencing, one of the
          > best features of all the best hardware sequencers, is the ability to
          > mute individual tracks in and out using dedicated track mute buttons.
          >
          > The Alesis MMT8 was made famous by it's great usefulness in a live
          > situation due to it having 8 big track mute buttons that were just
          > perfect for bringing parts of the song in and out, so if the 999
          > could have this feature built in, i believe Jomox would be onto a
          > winner.
          > Hooked up to a couple of bass synths and a sampler, and using the
          > track mute buttons, the 999 would be a killer centrepiece!!
          >
          > I also love the idea of the onboard multimode filter, route all the
          > sequenced bass synths and samples through it and tweak away. Hell you
          > could even run the onboard drums through it by routing the individual
          > outs to the stereo in it for that filtered drum sound, nice!
          >
          > Dear Juergen, we need onboard Track Mutes of all drums and sequencer
          > tracks........if it's not too late??
          >
          > Cheers
          > James
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Julian
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 7, 2005
            The x-base has individual outs, right?

            Why not just build a real simple 6 in (or whatever - however many outs it has) 6 out (or add a real simple mixer to one out) box
            with kill switched on it?

            I know not evreyones into diy, but it really wouldnt be hard to do if you were keen.

            Julian

            (tr-606 modifications at http://www.port23.co.uk/drumatix/)
          • punkdISCO
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 7, 2005
              Hi Jürgen

              > It is finished, anyway.

              Cool dude! So, when are we going to get pricing information and discount
              offers for longstanding Jomox fans :)

              Looking forward to your reply...

              Paul
              London
              www.punkdisco.co.uk
            • punkdISCO
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 7, 2005
                Hi Julian

                "Why not just build a real simple 6 in (or whatever - however many outs it
                has) 6 out (or add a real simple mixer to one out) box with kill switched on
                it?"

                Yeah, the 'use a mixers mute buttons' is the long standing counter argument
                for a sequencers dedicated mute buttons, but they just dont feel the same.

                Oh well, back to 999 waiting (have not left the house or eaten since the
                initial announcement)

                Paul
                London
                www.punkdisco.co.uk
              • ben vehorn
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 7, 2005
                  Yeah, this is because a midi mute will allow the note to continue
                  through it's release phase, while muting the track will chop the
                  audio off.
                  Definitely not the same.

                  On Jun 7, 2005, at 3:15 PM, punkdISCO wrote:

                  > Yeah, the 'use a mixers mute buttons' is the long standing counter
                  > argument
                  > for a sequencers dedicated mute buttons, but they just dont feel
                  > the same.
                • Jeff Storm
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 7, 2005
                    using a mixer mutes would kill release curves of envelopes and shit.
                    Killing the midi would still allow the last notes to sound fully. I think
                    this is a big difference.

                    > "Why not just build a real simple 6 in (or whatever - however many outs it
                    > has) 6 out (or add a real simple mixer to one out) box with kill switched
                    > on
                    > it?"
                    >
                    > Yeah, the 'use a mixers mute buttons' is the long standing counter
                    > argument
                    > for a sequencers dedicated mute buttons, but they just dont feel the same.
                    >
                    > Oh well, back to 999 waiting (have not left the house or eaten since the
                    > initial announcement)
                    >
                    > Paul
                    > London
                    > www.punkdisco.co.uk
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • niall munnelly
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 7, 2005
                      On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 03:55:19PM -0400, Jeff Storm wrote:
                      > using a mixer mutes would kill release curves of envelopes and shit.
                      > Killing the midi would still allow the last notes to sound fully. I think
                      > this is a big difference.

                      hello,

                      i am a machinedrum owner. it's nice to see we all have the
                      same feature requests.

                      thank you.

                      ;)

                      --
                      yours,
                      niall.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 7, 2005
                        I may be mistaken, but if the midi mutes are implemented in the X99's
                        midi spec, then isn't it possible to toggle them off with most midi
                        controllers that has midi-mappable switches...?
                      • ALX002
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 7, 2005
                          Yes it could be possible!!! But Juergen will have a
                          very hard work to have a well done full working
                          implementation !!! ;-)

                          The POWER OF THE X999 has to be : ANALOG SOUND, STABLE
                          WITH MIDI , AND good midi implementation for external
                          control

                          --- Gary Chang <gchang@...> a écrit :

                          ---------------------------------
                          I may be mistaken, but if the midi mutes are
                          implemented in the X99's
                          midi spec, then isn't it possible to toggle them off
                          with most midi
                          controllers that has midi-mappable switches...?

                          Terms of Service.

                          Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail : 1 Go d'espace de stockage pour vos mails, photos et vidéos !
                          Créez votre Yahoo! Mail sur http://fr.mail.yahoo.com
                        • electro
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 11, 2005
                            hey i want to sell my sunsyn for 2500,- euro