Re: [jomox] XBase - quality

  • jhno
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 12, 2004
      the TR909's buttons are much larger, so i would expect them to be a bit
      more robust. the xbase buttons can become stubborn, but this is pretty
      typical.

      per juergen's post, i would modify my recommendation:

      1. first try compressed air and see if that improves the switches. just a
      short burst with the straw at the button's edge, and maybe one on the other
      side.

      2. if this does not help enough, consider paying a technician to conduct
      standard long-term maintenance cleaning - taking apart the pots and
      cleaning the switches. the xbase is complicated inside and this sort of
      deep operation should only be undertaken by someone with plenty of
      experience.

      3. alternatively, applying a de-oxidizer to the problematic components
      might improve them. the risk and longevity of this treatment are not known.
      for my part, i will be sure to post if something goes sour.

      do not spray cleaners or solvents indiscriminantly into the box.

      the caig de-oxit formula i described is not designed to function as a
      cleaner or solvent. it specifically addresses metal oxidation and should
      not be expected to work like a contact cleaner.

      always use as little as possible. it is very clean, and does not leave the
      residue juergen refers to. although, the spray can version has some
      additional carriers that scatter around. for this reason, in hindsight, it
      might be better to try the needle applicator or the 2ml tube which have the
      solution at 100% concentration. hopefully the spray can is not necessary.

      however, having already used the spray can, i took a peek inside my xbase
      and could not detect any residue on or around the pots or switches. my
      inspection was limited to peeking between circuit board layers with a
      flashlight.

      finally, in case it was not totally clear - i mentioned the 'mechanic-all'
      lubricant only as an aside, because caig makes it and it seems much better
      than typical 3-in-1 oil or wd40 for crude, general purpose mechanical
      lubrication. it is not intended for electronics at all. it did wonders for
      an old kenmore sewing machine i bought (all metal, burly construction).

      hold the suds