xBase ROM Sound Expanding/Price/AirBase comparison

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2004
      Hi - I am considering selling a immaculate 808 (purchased off Radio
      1 DJ, Tim Westwood) to buy an xBase. I have the opportunity to get
      one for £300 here in London (version 2.09 OS). My questions are:

      1) One post mentions expanding the ROM sounds. Is this possible? I
      love the idea of the extra airBase sounds but also love the x0x
      style programming you get with the xBase. Given the choice I will
      go for the xBase otherwise I will dearly miss my 808's interface.

      2) I presume £300 is a good second hand price? If anyone else is
      considering selling one, pls contact me.

      3) Does anyone have any strong feelings why the airbase and its
      extra sounds would be a better buy then the xbase?

      Thanks for any info..

      Paul
      London
    • Jeff Storm
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2004
        I think that you have to mod the xbase by removing the din sync to get the extra samples.  You are still limited to 3 note poly or more importantly 1 sample at a time.

        I just recently acquired a airbase to go along with my xbase so there is the solution to that ;p (still waiting on a power supply though).  I wouldn't give up the internal sequencer for anything but if you use logic or cubase you will get around the airbase fine.  Be careful when looking for a airbase, some of the early models were defecting and the rim shot had a "white noise"  sound burst on the release (I drop a expander/gate in the signal path so its not worth fixing for me).

        I would sell both units tomorrow if jomox released the super xbase/airbase combo and get that.  I think you will be happy with the kick for sure.  It can get soft like a 808 but I think it has a lot of sonic potential.

        I can't comment on the price as I live in the states and my money isn't worth anything ;p