Re: Prob's w/ multimode still

  • Kurt Stengel <kstengel@cfl.rr.com>
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 1, 2003
      OK. I'm still trying to get a response on this issue. I know
      everyone at Jomox was busy at NAMM but I still have this multi bug
      issue. Juergen?

      --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt Stengel <kstengel@c...>"
      <kstengel@c...> wrote:
      > Juergen,
      >
      > Do you have any response to this? Anyone else using Cubase and the
      > Sunsyn that can help. The Chase Events suggestion solved my other
      > problem unless I have synch'd lfo's...then the part in multi seems
      > be effected as I ff and rw in Cubase. The main thing is the
      problem
      > w/ the patches and the pitch shifting bug in multimode. Any help
      > would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Kurt
      >

      > --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt Stengel <kstengel@c...>"
      > <kstengel@c...> wrote:
      > > Anyone running their Sunsyn under Cubase VST32 or any Cubase for
      > that
      > > matter. I have just upgraded to 1.11 and had 3 patches running
      at
      > > the same time in multimode and the pitch problem appeared on the
      > 3rd
      > > patch as I attempted to play it. The 2nd program intermittently
      > > changes it's tone sometimes as I rewind and FF thru parts in
      Cubase
      > > but a quick flip of the switch to a new program and back again
      > fixes
      > > it but it's rather annoying to have to deal w/ that. I am most
      > > concerned w/ the first problem tho. Other than that I am very
      > > happy. The fixed voice allocation to one voice turns this thing
      > back
      > > into a bass machine. Any ideas? Thanks
      > >
      > > Kurt
    • Jomox GmbH Jürgen Michaelis
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 3, 2003
        Hello Kurt,

        I will check on that thing, but we are really busy at the moment with our
        business. I did not yet reproduce the ffw and rw issue, but I have the
        feeling that you can switch off certain settings in Cubase to get rid of
        that bugs. For instance: "reset on stop" and some MMC controls that might be
        misunderstood by the SunSyn?!?!? Cubase sends a LOT of mostly unnecessary
        cc's to the units on drive actions.

        We are just preparing again for the Frankfurt show and our new products, so
        it might take a while for the next update.

        Juergen Michaelis
        CEO / R & D

        JoMoX Elektronische Musikinstrumente GmbH
        Koertestr. 10 fon: +49(0)30/61702573
        10967 Berlin fax: +49(0)30/61702574
        Germany www.jomox.de

        Juergen Michaelis Hardwaredesign
        www.jayemsonic.de

        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 4, 2003
          Yes I did solve the FF and RW problem. That was minor. The
          multimode pitch problem is of much more importance. Where you able
          to test this on a Cubase platform Juergen? I guess multitracking is
          still in the cards for me then for awhile. I have to disable program
          changes so i can access more than 127 presets on the Sunsyn in
          Cubase. man this stinks :(

          --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, Jomox GmbH Jürgen Michaelis

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • jhno
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 4, 2003
            >I have to disable program changes so i can access more
            >than 127 presets on the Sunsyn in Cubase.

            electronic music has always been about making things work, and grappling
            with the constraints and limitations imposed by the technology. from my
            observation, most people who manage to create a perfectly functioning
            studio with optimized workflow, end up making very clean, optimized music
            with no soul. i am not trying to say these problems should not be reported
            - but patience comes easy if you just keep making music anyway.

            sp.
          • Kurt Stengel <kstengel@cfl.rr.com>
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 8, 2003
              What in the world is that statement about? Patience? Try almost 2
              years of patience. This is the kind of bullshit attitude that I have
              a hard time dealing with. I was just alerting Juergen that not all
              customers have been resolved to the issues of multimode. This is a
              real bummer actually. Yea of course I keep writing music and use the
              Sunsyn all the time...and love it mind you...you can see that in my
              posts. But to tell me to be patient....give me a break. Of course
              patience is a virtue but if customers did not keep the heat on
              manufacturers to deliver what they promised much less would get
              done. Don't tell me to be patient. If you have something
              constructive to say about my problem fine...otherwise don't tell me
              how I should feel or act. You are just fanning the flame actually.

              --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, jhno <yahear@s...> wrote:
              > >I have to disable program changes so i can access more
              > >than 127 presets on the Sunsyn in Cubase.
              >
              > electronic music has always been about making things work, and
              grappling
              > with the constraints and limitations imposed by the technology.
              from my
              > observation, most people who manage to create a perfectly
              functioning
              > studio with optimized workflow, end up making very clean, optimized
              music
              > with no soul. i am not trying to say these problems should not be
              reported
              > - but patience comes easy if you just keep making music anyway.
              >
              > sp.
            • ericgo
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 9, 2003
                i totally agree with you ! the only difference is that i've sold my Sunsyn a long time ago because i was not so patient.
                And i am pretty sure that a lot of Sunsyn users have givin' up and use their machine with half the power it was advertised and don't even post on this forum anymore
                What in the world is that statement about?  Patience?  Try almost 2
                years of patience.  This is the kind of bullshit attitude that I have
                a hard time dealing with.  I was just alerting Juergen that not all
                customers have been resolved to the issues of multimode.  This is a
                real bummer actually.  Yea of course I keep writing music and use the
                Sunsyn all the time...and love it mind you...you can see that in my
                posts.  But to tell me to be patient....give me a break.  Of course
                patience is a virtue but if customers did not keep the heat on
                manufacturers to deliver what they promised much less would get
                done.  Don't tell me to be patient.  If you have something
                constructive to say about my problem fine...otherwise don't tell me
                how I should feel or act.  You are just fanning the flame actually.

                --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, jhno <yahear@s...> wrote:
                > >I have to disable program changes so i can access more
                > >than 127 presets on the Sunsyn in Cubase.
                >
                > electronic music has always been about making things work, and
                grappling
                > with the constraints and limitations imposed by the technology.
                from my
                > observation, most people who manage to create a perfectly
                functioning
                > studio with optimized workflow, end up making very clean, optimized
                music
                > with no soul. i am not trying to say these problems should not be
                reported
                > - but patience comes easy if you just keep making music anyway.
                >
                > sp.

              • sinus
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 9, 2003
                  Re: [jomox] Re: Prob's w/ multimode still hey
                  im interested what is not working with the multimode exactly ? a synth for a price about 3300,-
                  that sound strange!!!
                  stefan

                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 9, 2003
                    look i just want to make sure that my issues w/ Cubase and multimode
                    so not get overlooked since many Sunsyn users seemingly do not use
                    Cubase and now have full multi support. I love my Sunsyn don't get
                    me wrong but just want to be able to enjoy my machine in the same
                    manner as other users....like was promised. I have been told that
                    this is going to be worked on and I have faith in Juergen...he has
                    always treated me fairly in my dealings with him....and the Sunsyn
                    has come a long way. Just keep up the work and don't forget about us
                    Cubase users. I know there are still other issues to be resolved but
                    this should be given the same importance as it was given before
                    multimode was fixed for other folks on diff platforms. Nobody has
                    come forward to say multimode has ever worked on a Cubase machine.
                    Nor has anyone else said they have. That is kinda odd. I had
                    thought Juergen had tested it on that platform but maybe I was
                    wrong.

                  • echowind73 <echowind73@yahoo.com>
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 9, 2003
                      --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "ericgo" <ericgo@f...> wrote:
                      > i totally agree with you ! the only difference is that i've sold my
                      Sunsyn a long time ago because i was not so patient.
                      > And i am pretty sure that a lot of Sunsyn users have givin' up and
                      use their machine with half the power it was advertised and don't even
                      post on this forum anymore

                      This is a very sad thing because when the multimode was fixed for my
                      setup (Logic 4.6+AMT8), essentially other things got fixed (midiclock,
                      LFO's etc) and it's like I got a completely different (and amazing)
                      synth which I now use for over 50% of the sounds on my current tracks!
                      Bugs vs. no bugs, it is really like night and day. Even though I
                      multitrack I make heavy use of multimode for layered patches etc. also
                      sometimes just for trying out combinations. So these problems are
                      still very important, and should be taken seriously. It is not
                      something that can just be worked around.

                      Also in the end the Cubase problem does affect people like me, because
                      as you know Logic is no longer being updated for the Windows platform,
                      so I would like to switch to some modern version of Cubase, but I
                      cannot for precisely this reason!!! That's why it is imperative that
                      we know *all* bugs are fixed for *all* platforms. I think Juergen has
                      done a great job so far but he cannot proceed further unless he knows
                      exactly what is wrong, and it doesn't help the situation when others
                      joke about or try to downplay the effect of the remaining bugs. I know
                      both how bad it was, and how good it can be, and that should above all
                      be taken seriously!!!

                      --Harvey
                    • Ulcer B. Pentacidis
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 9, 2003

                        I agree with this.

                        >From: "echowind73 "
                        >To: jomox@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: [jomox] Re: Prob's w/ multimode still
                        >Date: Sun, 09 Feb 2003 22:59:26 -0000
                        >
                        >--- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "ericgo" wrote:
                        > > i totally agree with you ! the only difference is that i've sold my
                        >Sunsyn a long time ago because i was not so patient.
                        > > And i am pretty sure that a lot of Sunsyn users have givin' up and
                        >use their machine with half the power it was advertised and don't even
                        >post on this forum anymore
                        >
                        >This is a very sad thing because when the multimode was fixed for my
                        >setup (Logic 4.6+AMT8), essentially other things got fixed (midiclock,
                        >LFO's etc) and it's like I got a completely different (and amazing)
                        >synth which I now use for over 50% of the sounds on my current tracks!
                        >Bugs vs. no bugs, it is really like night and day. Even though I
                        >multitrack I make heavy use of multimode for layered patches etc. also
                        >sometimes just for trying out combinations. So these problems are
                        >still very important, and should be taken seriously. It is not
                        >something that can just be worked around.
                        >
                        >Also in the end the Cubase problem does affect people like me, because
                        >as you know Logic is no longer being updated for the Windows platform,
                        >so I would like to switch to some modern version of Cubase, but I
                        >cannot for precisely this reason!!! That's why it is imperative that
                        >we know *all* bugs are fixed for *all* platforms. I think Juergen has
                        >done a great job so far but he cannot proceed further unless he knows
                        >exactly what is wrong, and it doesn't help the situation when others
                        >joke about or try to downplay the effect of the remaining bugs. I know
                        >both how bad it was, and how good it can be, and that should above all
                        >be taken seriously!!!
                        >
                        >--Harvey

                      • sudsminimal
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 9, 2003
                          i think maybe i am missing something here, sorry. i thought that the
                          original post was complaining only that patch numbers greater than 128 were
                          not accessible...

                          >I have to disable program
                          >changes so i can access more than 127 presets on the Sunsyn in Cubase.

                          which, although certainly a valid issue, seems easy to work with. then
                          there was the problem with cubase's 'chase controllers' feature, which i
                          thought was taken care of by turning it off (not a sunsynth problem). then
                          there is the 'pitch shifting bug.' i looked through old posts but could not
                          find any description of this. what is the deal?

                          i agree that multimode operation is essential to the sunsynth. i
                          occasionally use cubase, versions 3.52 - 5.1, and for me, multimode seems
                          to work fine. i am still on sunOS 1.10, will update shortly, but have been
                          very happy with this release.

                          i can try to reproduce problems with cubase; just send me the steps to take.

                          s.
                        • Kurt Stengel <kstengel@cfl.rr.com>
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 11, 2003
                            The pitch shifting bug was definitely talked about on this board as
                            well as the clicking bug in multimode. These problems were the ones
                            addressed recently in the OS updates.

                            I disabled (filtered) all midi msgs in Cubase VST32 cept note on/off
                            obviously and same result. Except now it seems the voices are
                            cutting ea other off. For example if I set up a multi w/ two patches
                            on the same midi channel the first one will play and the second only
                            briefly...then it cuts off and subsequent notes played will only play
                            the first patch. In multimode as well when 2 patches are on diff
                            midi notes but played back thru Cubase at the same time....it behaves
                            the same way...kind of analoguous to a mono synth when one note
                            bleeds into the next. real weird. It acts the same whether all midi
                            msgs are filtered off or on....I always have sysex and program
                            changes off tho. I can remember a time when I was able to play 3
                            patches on the Sunsyn simultaneously in Cubase w/ the latest OS and
                            this would not happen....but the pitch on one of the patches did
                            change drastically. And no I do not have the Sunsyn in unison mode
                            and I do have it set to scroll thru the voices. I don't know what
                            else to do. Perhaps someone from Jomox might get in touch with me
                            off line to figure this out.

                            As far as reproducing the problems just set up a bunch of tracks in
                            multimode and see if they behave properly. No clicking, no changes
                            in the original sounds of the patches as they are played alongside ea
                            other. Try diff combos of voices as some seem to work better than
                            others....cept none work for me now. You are on a diff version of
                            Cubase tho so I dunno.

                            --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, sudsminimal <yahear@s...> wrote:
                            > i think maybe i am missing something here, sorry. i thought that the
                            > original post was complaining only that patch numbers greater than
                            128 were
                            > not accessible...
                            >
                            > >I have to disable program
                            > >changes so i can access more than 127 presets on the Sunsyn in
                            Cubase.

                            > which, although certainly a valid issue, seems easy to work with.
                            then
                            > there was the problem with cubase's 'chase controllers' feature,
                            which i
                            > thought was taken care of by turning it off (not a sunsynth
                            problem). then
                            > there is the 'pitch shifting bug.' i looked through old posts but
                            could not
                            > find any description of this. what is the deal?
                            >
                            > i agree that multimode operation is essential to the sunsynth. i
                            > occasionally use cubase, versions 3.52 - 5.1, and for me, multimode
                            seems
                            > to work fine. i am still on sunOS 1.10, will update shortly, but
                            have been
                            > very happy with this release.
                            >
                            > i can try to reproduce problems with cubase; just send me the steps
                            to take.

                            > s.
                          • Paulo Abreu
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 12, 2003
                              What I can not understand is "what has this problem to do with Cubase? "
                              It seems a general voice allocation problem in multimode, so it should
                              appear on any system...
                              For a manufacturer it may only make sense to "waiste" precious man-hours
                              with problems of its product, not of a particular setup...so I think it
                              would be good to see that cleared out. I don't yet have a Sunsyn...only when
                              things are defnitly ironed out...so is it possible to get a couple of Sunsyn
                              user to try and replicate this problem that Kurt Stengel refers in different
                              midi sequencing platforms/setups to see if thats a problem with the Sunsyn
                              or with his particular setup?

                              I would love to see this cleared out!!!

                              Just curious...

                              Best,
                              Paulo
> [...]
                              > Cubase.
                              > >
                              > > which, although certainly a valid issue, seems easy to work with.
                              > then
                              > > there was the problem with cubase's 'chase controllers' feature,
                              > which i
                              > > thought was taken care of by turning it off (not a sunsynth
                              > problem). then
                              > > there is the 'pitch shifting bug.' i looked through old posts but
                              > could not
                              > > find any description of this. what is the deal?
                              > >
                              > > i agree that multimode operation is essential to the sunsynth. i
                              > > occasionally use cubase, versions 3.52 - 5.1, and for me, multimode
                              > seems
                              > > to work fine. i am still on sunOS 1.10, will update shortly, but
                              > have been
                              > > very happy with this release.
                              > >
                              > > i can try to reproduce problems with cubase; just send me the steps

                            • Ulcer B. Pentacidis
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 12, 2003

                                I experience the same thing ran either of digital performer, or my mpc2kxl.  Clicking, pitch bending, sometimes voices cutting off.  The whole gammut.  Not to mention it will recieve midi clock from no sequencer without freezing up.  It is real bogus.

                              • Paulo Abreu
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 12, 2003
                                  As I suspected...
                                  That helps clear things out.
                                  We hope the good guys at Jomox will deliver the "cure" ASAP.

                                  Thanks,
                                  Paulo

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 12, 2003
                                    Well I am honestly not getting these problems. With 1.08 and below, I
                                    used to get some strange distortion between channels, especially when
                                    the same midi note was sent on all channels. But this somehow went
                                    away for me with 1.10, all I did was upgrade the OS. Now I have not
                                    upgraded to 1.11. Tonight I'll try to figure out what kinds of
                                    messages are being sent from Logic. (MMC etc.) I think I had shut out
                                    everything except midiclock.

                                    Are any of these problems patch-specific? Did you try creating sounds
                                    from scratch using "init" patches, and does the problem still occur? I
                                    had a case where all RCO's disappeared and I had to manually
                                    initialize each patch to bring them back. Maybe some strange "state"
                                    information is being inadvertently introduced into each patch when
                                    programming.

                                    Anyway, it's quite obvious there is still a problem. Some of us can
                                    reproduce the problem today and some cannot. I have been on both sides
                                    of the fence, and it's likely it will become broken for me again if I
                                    switch platforms (which I desparately need to do, because I don't want
                                    to buy a Mac), so I too am interested in a quick solution. Hope all
                                    energies at Jomox are devoted towards this.

                                    --Harvey

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 13, 2003
                                      --- In jomox@yahoogroups.com, "echowind73 <echowind73@y...>"
                                      <echowind73@y...> wrote:
                                      > Tonight I'll try to figure out what kinds of
                                      > messages are being sent from Logic. (MMC etc.) I think I had shut out
                                      > everything except midiclock.

                                      quick followup, the above is correct. Midiclock is being sent but not
                                      MMC or MTC.
                                    • Ulcer B. Pentacidis
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 14, 2003

                                        For me it seems to be somwhat patch specific, but only in the severity of the problems, not problem, or not.  I start from initial patch almost everytime, and no matter the patch some kind of problem shows through.  I don't even know what to do about the midiclock issue.  Regardless I hope this issue is cleared up as do you, but shit man, how much longer can I stand it?