Re: [jointuselib-l] How does the joint use public/academic library work?

  • Will Porter
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2005
      My (as yet not-quite-existent) library is set up in a very similar
      fashion to Terri's, though I am the public librarian here; there is
      also a school librarian. I am very much not employed by the school, the
      school librarian is very much not employed by the public library.
      I suppose you could describe it as a public library that happens to be
      on a school campus (K-8, in my case), to the extent that the general
      public can tell. For the staff, though, it's a great deal more
      complicated than that, not to mention more confusing.
      Planning can be a mess. In my library, for example, the school owns
      about 1/3 of the computers in the library and the public library owns
      the rest. The school is obliged by law to filter the internet access on
      their computers; my board has not voted to approve the use of internet
      filters, and I am not allowed to implement the use of filters without
      their approval. So now what? For the time being, the students will only
      be allowed to use the computers owned by the school during school
      hours, but who monitors that?
      These sorts of questions never come up in other library environments
      (not to my knowledge anyway; this is my third professional job), which
      is why I started this forum.

      Will

      http://mail.yahoo.com