Re: [jointuselib-l] How does the joint use public/academic library work?

  • Don McMorris
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3 6:19 AM
      Thank you for your reply. It seems that your library is more-or-less
      a public library that happens to be located on a school campus. Does
      that sound about right?

      On 5/2/05, TERRI PILATE <trpilate@...> wrote:
      > Hi Don,
      >
      > Our library is in one of the high school buildings: the library/preforming
      > arts building. The school obviously owns the facility. The school
      > district
      > pays a my salary and a portion of my staff's salary, but I am actually an
      > employee of the county library system. The high school has a student-only
      > computer lab on one side of our large one room library and meeting rooms
      > that they book and use through the admin. office. So we have student/class
      > traffic because of those facilities...most of the time I have not been
      > informed of the schedule for these areas.
      >
      > So I am a public librarian working and running a school library that is
      > also
      > a public library. The school reallly has not used me as a resource and
      > there
      > is a severe lack of communication between the school and myself. But I am
      > new and expect to bridge that gap for the fall. I am just kind of
      > floundering with how to do that. But I'm sure I will find my way...by
      > enlisting teacher and counselor help. I do not have a teaching credential
      > and find schools are foreign to me, with their own work culture that is
      > foreign.
      >
      > I do not know of any joint-use facilites in the areas you mention. I am in
      > Southern California. This is a small agricultural community that is
      > growing
      > by leaps and bounds...the new bedroom community for L.A. and Orange County
      > communters. I know that this joint-use library has created a better
      > library
      > for the school as well as this small city.
      >
      > Hope this is a help.
      > Terri
      >
      > Terri Pilate
      > San Jacinto Library
      > Branch Manager
      > 500 Idyllwild Drive
      > San Jacinto, CA 92583
      > (951) 654-8635
      >

      > >From: "Don McMorris Jr." <don.mcmorris@...>
      > >To: jointuselib-l@yahoogroups.com
      > >Subject: [jointuselib-l] How does the joint use public/academic library
      > >work?
      > >Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 18:01:08 -0000

    • TERRI PILATE
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3 8:30 AM
        Yup, That's right...a public library that happens to be located on a high
        school campus. But its a bit more complicated. There is a lot of high
        school traffic through the library so students are using the facility but
        they just aren't using me as a resouce. And the high teen traffic kind of
        scares away the older patrons which is a large majority of this communities
        demographic. San Jacinto/Hemet area, besides being a agricultural area is
        also a popular retirement area.

        I would like to offer research and library skills classes for next year.
        Most of the kids who come in here as well as the community college kids who
        come in here do not even know how to use the online library catalog. This
        is what I mean when I say they are not and probably do not know how to use
        me as a resource. So that is one goal for next year.

        Terri

        >From: Don McMorris <don.mcmorris@...>
        >To: jointuselib-l@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [jointuselib-l] How does the joint use public/academic library
        >work?
        >Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 09:19:03 -0400

      • Will Porter
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3 9:55 AM
          My (as yet not-quite-existent) library is set up in a very similar
          fashion to Terri's, though I am the public librarian here; there is
          also a school librarian. I am very much not employed by the school, the
          school librarian is very much not employed by the public library.
          I suppose you could describe it as a public library that happens to be
          on a school campus (K-8, in my case), to the extent that the general
          public can tell. For the staff, though, it's a great deal more
          complicated than that, not to mention more confusing.
          Planning can be a mess. In my library, for example, the school owns
          about 1/3 of the computers in the library and the public library owns
          the rest. The school is obliged by law to filter the internet access on
          their computers; my board has not voted to approve the use of internet
          filters, and I am not allowed to implement the use of filters without
          their approval. So now what? For the time being, the students will only
          be allowed to use the computers owned by the school during school
          hours, but who monitors that?
          These sorts of questions never come up in other library environments
          (not to my knowledge anyway; this is my third professional job), which
          is why I started this forum.

          Will

          http://mail.yahoo.com