RE: [jointuselib-l] How does the joint use public/academic library work?

  • TERRI PILATE
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2005
      Hi Don,

      Our library is in one of the high school buildings: the library/preforming
      arts building. The school obviously owns the facility. The school district
      pays a my salary and a portion of my staff's salary, but I am actually an
      employee of the county library system. The high school has a student-only
      computer lab on one side of our large one room library and meeting rooms
      that they book and use through the admin. office. So we have student/class
      traffic because of those facilities...most of the time I have not been
      informed of the schedule for these areas.

      So I am a public librarian working and running a school library that is also
      a public library. The school reallly has not used me as a resource and there
      is a severe lack of communication between the school and myself. But I am
      new and expect to bridge that gap for the fall. I am just kind of
      floundering with how to do that. But I'm sure I will find my way...by
      enlisting teacher and counselor help. I do not have a teaching credential
      and find schools are foreign to me, with their own work culture that is
      foreign.

      I do not know of any joint-use facilites in the areas you mention. I am in
      Southern California. This is a small agricultural community that is growing
      by leaps and bounds...the new bedroom community for L.A. and Orange County
      communters. I know that this joint-use library has created a better library
      for the school as well as this small city.

      Hope this is a help.
      Terri

      Terri Pilate
      San Jacinto Library
      Branch Manager
      500 Idyllwild Drive
      San Jacinto, CA 92583
      (951) 654-8635

      >From: "Don McMorris Jr." <don.mcmorris@...>
      >To: jointuselib-l@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [jointuselib-l] How does the joint use public/academic library
      >work?
      >Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 18:01:08 -0000

    • Don McMorris
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2005
        Thank you for your reply. It seems that your library is more-or-less
        a public library that happens to be located on a school campus. Does
        that sound about right?

        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2005
          Yup, That's right...a public library that happens to be located on a high
          school campus. But its a bit more complicated. There is a lot of high
          school traffic through the library so students are using the facility but
          they just aren't using me as a resouce. And the high teen traffic kind of
          scares away the older patrons which is a large majority of this communities
          demographic. San Jacinto/Hemet area, besides being a agricultural area is
          also a popular retirement area.

          I would like to offer research and library skills classes for next year.
          Most of the kids who come in here as well as the community college kids who
          come in here do not even know how to use the online library catalog. This
          is what I mean when I say they are not and probably do not know how to use
          me as a resource. So that is one goal for next year.

          Terri

          >From: Don McMorris <don.mcmorris@...>
          >To: jointuselib-l@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [jointuselib-l] How does the joint use public/academic library
          >work?
          >Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 09:19:03 -0400

        • Will Porter
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2005
            My (as yet not-quite-existent) library is set up in a very similar
            fashion to Terri's, though I am the public librarian here; there is
            also a school librarian. I am very much not employed by the school, the
            school librarian is very much not employed by the public library.
            I suppose you could describe it as a public library that happens to be
            on a school campus (K-8, in my case), to the extent that the general
            public can tell. For the staff, though, it's a great deal more
            complicated than that, not to mention more confusing.
            Planning can be a mess. In my library, for example, the school owns
            about 1/3 of the computers in the library and the public library owns
            the rest. The school is obliged by law to filter the internet access on
            their computers; my board has not voted to approve the use of internet
            filters, and I am not allowed to implement the use of filters without
            their approval. So now what? For the time being, the students will only
            be allowed to use the computers owned by the school during school
            hours, but who monitors that?
            These sorts of questions never come up in other library environments
            (not to my knowledge anyway; this is my third professional job), which
            is why I started this forum.

            Will

            http://mail.yahoo.com