How does the joint use public/academic library work?

  • Don McMorris Jr.
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2005
      I am curious about how the joint use/academic library works. Is the
      library actually located in the school?

      Are there any of the joint-use libraries in upstate NY (IE: Any place
      but the city) or in VT? I would be interested in visiting one, just to
      see how it works.

      We try to work with the school to make our public library an extension
      of it. However, the new administration is not "playing nice" with the
      community. Once in a while (summers), the school teachers will co-
      sponsor a program with the library that works well.

      Thanks in advance for your replies.

      --Don
    • TERRI PILATE
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2005
        Hi Don,

        Our library is in one of the high school buildings: the library/preforming
        arts building. The school obviously owns the facility. The school district
        pays a my salary and a portion of my staff's salary, but I am actually an
        employee of the county library system. The high school has a student-only
        computer lab on one side of our large one room library and meeting rooms
        that they book and use through the admin. office. So we have student/class
        traffic because of those facilities...most of the time I have not been
        informed of the schedule for these areas.

        So I am a public librarian working and running a school library that is also
        a public library. The school reallly has not used me as a resource and there
        is a severe lack of communication between the school and myself. But I am
        new and expect to bridge that gap for the fall. I am just kind of
        floundering with how to do that. But I'm sure I will find my way...by
        enlisting teacher and counselor help. I do not have a teaching credential
        and find schools are foreign to me, with their own work culture that is
        foreign.

        I do not know of any joint-use facilites in the areas you mention. I am in
        Southern California. This is a small agricultural community that is growing
        by leaps and bounds...the new bedroom community for L.A. and Orange County
        communters. I know that this joint-use library has created a better library
        for the school as well as this small city.

        Hope this is a help.
        Terri

        Terri Pilate
        San Jacinto Library
        Branch Manager
        500 Idyllwild Drive
        San Jacinto, CA 92583
        (951) 654-8635

        >From: "Don McMorris Jr." <don.mcmorris@...>
        >To: jointuselib-l@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [jointuselib-l] How does the joint use public/academic library
        >work?
        >Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 18:01:08 -0000

      • Don McMorris
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2005
          Thank you for your reply. It seems that your library is more-or-less
          a public library that happens to be located on a school campus. Does
          that sound about right?

          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2005
            Yup, That's right...a public library that happens to be located on a high
            school campus. But its a bit more complicated. There is a lot of high
            school traffic through the library so students are using the facility but
            they just aren't using me as a resouce. And the high teen traffic kind of
            scares away the older patrons which is a large majority of this communities
            demographic. San Jacinto/Hemet area, besides being a agricultural area is
            also a popular retirement area.

            I would like to offer research and library skills classes for next year.
            Most of the kids who come in here as well as the community college kids who
            come in here do not even know how to use the online library catalog. This
            is what I mean when I say they are not and probably do not know how to use
            me as a resource. So that is one goal for next year.

            Terri

            >From: Don McMorris <don.mcmorris@...>
            >To: jointuselib-l@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [jointuselib-l] How does the joint use public/academic library
            >work?
            >Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 09:19:03 -0400

          • Will Porter
            Message 5 of 5 , May 3, 2005
              My (as yet not-quite-existent) library is set up in a very similar
              fashion to Terri's, though I am the public librarian here; there is
              also a school librarian. I am very much not employed by the school, the
              school librarian is very much not employed by the public library.
              I suppose you could describe it as a public library that happens to be
              on a school campus (K-8, in my case), to the extent that the general
              public can tell. For the staff, though, it's a great deal more
              complicated than that, not to mention more confusing.
              Planning can be a mess. In my library, for example, the school owns
              about 1/3 of the computers in the library and the public library owns
              the rest. The school is obliged by law to filter the internet access on
              their computers; my board has not voted to approve the use of internet
              filters, and I am not allowed to implement the use of filters without
              their approval. So now what? For the time being, the students will only
              be allowed to use the computers owned by the school during school
              hours, but who monitors that?
              These sorts of questions never come up in other library environments
              (not to my knowledge anyway; this is my third professional job), which
              is why I started this forum.

              Will

              http://mail.yahoo.com