I am writing a paper on joint-use libraries.

  • dostrova
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2005
      Hello everyone,

      Here is the question that I am writing on:
      1. While there have been a number of joint-use library facilities on
      a small scale around the U.S., and beyond, that provide service to
      the public and to a segment of the K-12, it is only recently that
      large facilities for large cities and large universities are being
      planned and built. The joint facility recently opened on the campus
      of SJSU that serves the University Community and as the Main Library
      for the city of San Jose is now being presented as a model for joint
      cooperation, cost reduction, and efficient operation. A new project
      is being planned in Guadalajara Mexico, and there are some projects
      underway in the U. K. and Europe. What are the benefits and costs
      stated by the politicians and decision makers before the projects
      opened compared to the benefits after it opens as reported in press
      or research? Have these facilities lived up to their promises?

      I am suppose to concentrate on "large facilities for large cities and
      large universities", while San Jose is an obvious example, my teacher
      seems to question Fort Collins - it's not big enough? I was wondering
      if there are other examples that would qualify as a large city/large
      university. I am looking for something that is completed, so that I
      can compare expectations before and the reality after it's been
      completed. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!