Re: [John Muir Trail] Transportation to Yosemite

  • Kim Fishburn
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 30, 2010
      I've have a section on my website about public transportation. I think the eastern side of the Sierras is still up to date but there may have been some changes. Last time I tried to find out if there had been any changes to that area I found that the websites weren't updated, and by next year things could change. I couldn't find any way to get from Las Vegas to the eastern side of the Sierras without going into LA.

      http://outhiking.com/transportation.html

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 30, 2010
        All depends on where you are coming from, for starters. Flying into San Francisco (or san jose or sacramento) it's all about jumping on AMTRAK.

        fly into SF, spend the night. Leave on AMTRAK at 7 a.m. next morning and in the valley by 2 p.m.

        You may know that anything on the eastside is a bit more complicated and may involve hitch-hiking, but if you can just get up to Mammoth, you basically reverse your AMTRAK route, no problems.

        Mr. Ladd can no doubt refer you to several threads on the topic for further info.

        Bob

        To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
        From: dc_t63@...
        Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:33:24 -0700

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 30, 2010
          On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 11:54 AM, robert shattuck <bobolonius@...> wrote:

          Mr. Ladd can no doubt refer you to several threads on the topic for further info.

          Sorry, I'm packing up for my trip right now.  You can check our links page, though

        • robert shattuck
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 30, 2010
            John,

            me too . . . headed off to Portland this sunday and haven't packed, cleaned house . . . did make a climbing engagement then suddenly, this morning, realized, DUH, you'll be driving to portland. silly brain.

            After I get back on the 9th, I have to wait for the jury thing, cross fingers . . . sending out JMT resupply right now. good fun. Where are you off to, backpacking???

            BOB

            sparklefart.blogspot.com

            To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
            From: johnladd@...
            Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 12:09:38 -0700
            Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Transportation to Yosemite

            http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/johnmuirtr ail/links/ Transportation_ 001262977366/

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 30, 2010
              PCT mile 1545-1656 - one-way NoBo with car shuttle -- with my friend's car near Seiad valley, mine 120 trail miles south of that.  Leaving a resupply cache at the midpoint.  Map, if you are interested

              http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&num=200&start=8&t=p&msa=0&msid=102626430010297754856.0004897072e2b286f24ed&ll=41.562032,-123.105927&spn=0.723393,1.234589&z=10

              I suspect we'll share the trail with a bunch of PCT thruhikers.  they're nuts,. but often interesting.  At least the ones who will deign to slow down and talk

              To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
              From: johnladd@...
              Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 12:09:38 -0700

              On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 11:54 AM, robert shattuck <bobolonius@...> wrote:

              Mr. Ladd can no doubt refer you to several threads on the topic for further info.

              Sorry, I'm packing up for my trip right now.  You can check our links page, though

            • Don Amundson
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 30, 2010
                Information regarding transportation etc. is condensed in this document

                http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cFlTTIMV8IMMbTP5ZME_fc5Lp6iAZl3-4czrTnnANf_4Dxi64pRcDP-h_YCd228QK4O7c6PGACA3imOYaq6CPfER9yQnchMtxbg/Planning%20and%20Transportation/JMT-Carry%20Crib%20Sheet%20of%20Vital%20Info.pdf

                The following document deals with transportation from the Fresno Airport

                Which airport are you thinking about?  Info regarding entering from the west side can be found on the above two documents. The CREST bus services the Reno, NV airport.  Once you get to Mammoth you can catch the YARTS bus into Yosemite.

                CREST Bus  http://easternsierratransitauthority.com/wb/pages/bus-routes.php
                YARTS Bus  http://www.yarts.com/schedules.html

                If your flying into San Francisco--?  I don't have that info in front of me but can locate it if needed.  Post again or maybe someone else will have provided the info.   Good Luck.

                To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
                From: dc_t63@...
                Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:33:24 -0700

                Previously I back packed the southern part of the trail, picking the trail up after walking the Rae Lakes loop, however next summer I plan on walking the whole think from north to south. What types of shuttle services are there to get from a local airport to the start point? For those who have done this before, how did you do it? I welcome any input.

                Don

              • John
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 30, 2010
                  Hi Don

                  The closest local airport is Mammoth/Yosemite (flights from San Jose and LA) expensive. I'm not sure about the shuttle from the airport to Mammoth (should't be a problem getting a ride). From Mammoth, Yarts will take you to Yosemite.

                  JD
                  www.johndittli.com