Re: [John Muir Trail] Duck lake Pass

  • hmdsierra
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 29, 2010
      Actually, when my son and I did the trail the section from Crater Mdw to Duck Ck was one of the best we saw. My friend had dropped out at Red's with a bad knee and my son and I had gone on to where Crater Ck drops down the hill with a sprinkle during the last part. The campsite was amazing tho. The trail goes along the hillside, PCT, and turns at the creek to a nice site just behind the short ridge, haven't seen anything like it before or since. The next day was dreary and we thought about staying put. Finally about 11 Am we took off. My friend leaving and the uninspiring slog through the pumice had us feeling low. However, when we topped the ridge and had our first view into Cascade Valley our mood lifted high. The unsettled weather created great views. One spot would be raining while another was lit by a ray of sunshine and it continually changed. It was a good show as we worked along the trail. At one point the cloud came up and enveloped us in fog. We stopped a few times to sat out a brief shower. We reached Duck Ck around 5 PM and the storm was clearing. I've been back a couple of times and it has never match the magic of that day. Even the boring sections can turn out memorable.