Big Miles Over Big Mountains

  • Ann Pfeil
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2010

      Aloha All!

      Accepting that everyone has their own reasons – schedules (school starts), personal goals (marathon a day), desires (miss my <fill in the blank>), etc., might I ask why anyone wants to do big miles over big mountains if they don’t have to?   I’m always fascinated when I hear hikers talk of having done “abc” in “xyz time”.   Now, admitting up front that I couldn’t do big miles over big mountains (break bones easily and the PCT schedule proved it tore me down faster), I’m not sure I ever really would want to.   Maybe when younger but now at 53 I find the closer I get to the end of a long hike the slower I go -- why rush the ending of a great thing if you don’t have to!

      Again, everyone has their own reasons and should always hike their own hike – whatever that may be.  I’m just curious.

      Aloha! Ann