RE: [John Muir Trail] JMT book

  • lance houston
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 13, 2005
      Which of those is the closest and fastest to resupply at....not including
      Tuolumne Mdws as we are going north to south....thx

    • thomas taylor
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 14, 2005
        All are on the trail except perhaps Lake Vermillion
        which would be a couple mile hike around the lake if
        you miss the boat. Since Reds Mdw is close (about
        20-30 miles, you could skip either one.

        The benefits in doing the JMT North to South is that
        you can go lite for the first 1/2 of the trip, it is
        easier to get a through permit for Mt. Whitney, and by
        the time that you get to Whitney your pack will be
        empty.

        Thomas

      • Prapanna Smith
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 14, 2005
          Go to:

          http://www.climber.org/scripts/BearBoxes.cgi?REG+ALL

          for location of the bearboxes along the JMT and elsewhere.

          Prapanna

          A vast surrender was his only strength.
          Savitri Book 3, Canto 2

          On Jun 13, 2005, at 3:00 PM, lance houston wrote:

          > What about bear boxes as I cannot pack everything into the cannisters?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > >From: "John Randall" <sierra_marmot@...>
          > >To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: [John Muir Trail] JMT book
          > >Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:53:07 -0000
          > >
          > >Hi,
          > >
          > >See if your library has a copy of the PCT-Volume 1, Wilderness Press,
          > >Schaeffer, Schifrin, Winnett & Jenkins.� Copy section H, Mt. Whitney
          > >to Tuolumne Meadows.� While I like Tom Harrison's maps, I like the
          > >old, larger two-map of JMT from the Inyo National Forest even better.
          > >Pick up Tom's map of Yosemite for the Tuolumne Meadows to Happy Isles
          > >section.� There's no problem with water the entire distance and the
          > >only places the trail is moderately confusing is in the Tuolumne
          > >Meadows and Reds Meadow areas because there are so many side trails
          > >and heavy day hiker use.
          > >
          > >john
          > >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > �
          > �
          > Service.

        • Prapanna Smith
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 14, 2005
            Go to:

            http://www.climber.org/scripts/BearBoxes.cgi?REG+ALL

            for location of the bearboxes along the JMT and elsewhere.

            Prapanna

            A vast surrender was his only strength.
            Savitri Book 3, Canto 2

            On Jun 13, 2005, at 3:00 PM, lance houston wrote:

            > What about bear boxes as I cannot pack everything into the cannisters?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > >From: "John Randall" <sierra_marmot@...>
            > >To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
            > >Subject: [John Muir Trail] JMT book
            > >Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:53:07 -0000
            > >
            > >Hi,
            > >
            > >See if your library has a copy of the PCT-Volume 1, Wilderness Press,
            > >Schaeffer, Schifrin, Winnett & Jenkins.� Copy section H, Mt. Whitney
            > >to Tuolumne Meadows.� While I like Tom Harrison's maps, I like the
            > >old, larger two-map of JMT from the Inyo National Forest even better.
            > >Pick up Tom's map of Yosemite for the Tuolumne Meadows to Happy Isles
            > >section.� There's no problem with water the entire distance and the
            > >only places the trail is moderately confusing is in the Tuolumne
            > >Meadows and Reds Meadow areas because there are so many side trails
            > >and heavy day hiker use.
            > >
            > >john
            > >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            > �
            > �
            > Service.

          • David Johnson
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 15, 2005
              Thanks, I'll look for the PCT book, Vol. 1. Is it still being
              published?

              I do have a 1951 Starr's Guide which I use, but I wondered if
              newer editions had substantial new information.

              - David J.

              --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John Randall"
              <sierra_marmot@y...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > See if your library has a copy of the PCT-Volume 1, Wilderness
              Press,
              > Schaeffer, Schifrin, Winnett & Jenkins. Copy section H, Mt.
              Whitney
              > to Tuolumne Meadows. While I like Tom Harrison's maps, I
              like the
              > old, larger two-map of JMT from the Inyo National Forest even
              better.
              > Pick up Tom's map of Yosemite for the Tuolumne Meadows to
              Happy Isles
              > section.
            • thomas taylor
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 16, 2005
                --- David Johnson <dhj@...> wrote:

                > Thanks, I'll look for the PCT book, Vol. 1. Is it
                > still being
                > published?
                >
                > I do have a 1951 Starr's Guide which I use, but I
                > wondered if
                > newer editions had substantial new information.
                >
                > - David J.

                Dave,

                The 12th Edition has the latest updated information.
                There's a later edition (13th or 14th) but it is the
                same as the 12th just larger (viz., regular pocket
                book size). The 12th, and no doubt, earlier are
                smaller, far easier to carry and access, more
                substantially made and, therefore, last longer.

                I purchased a used 12th about 8 years ago for $4.95
                and still have it. It's a great reference.