Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Plastic bucket/'dundo'

    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 24, 2010
      Tried mine in a daypack today closed with a rubber stopper from my hardware store.  Worked fine.  I think I'll use that stretchy plumbers tape to make it extra-secure on trail.

      On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 7:20 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:
      Earlier in this thread, John Dittli recommended wine bags as water carriers.  I assume he means the bags that are inside of boxed wines.

      On my recent short trip, I found an unopened 5-liter box of wine abandoned 5 miles in from a TH.  Valiantly protecting it from the bears (anything in the service of nature!), I drank what I could, emptied the rest into a dry streambed and carried out the box and bag.

      Once I removed the bag from the box, it does look both sturdy and lightweight.  I'd love to use the bag as a supplemental water container for one stretch of my upcoming PCT trip (110 miles ending Seiad Valley, Ca - up near the OR border) because there is a stretch of questionable water availability.  It probably won't be used because, before I reach that stretch, it may be clear that the intermittent streams are all still flowing.  But if the intermittent streams are mostly dry, I'll have the one long stretch where I'd love to be able to fill it up.

      Problem is - I found emptying it quite easy (and relaxing).  I'm finding it hard to figure out how to FILL the thing.

      I'd love to have ideas on how people handle this problem.

      Of course, this being 2010, there is an online illustrated tutorial on this at:

      http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To%3A-Reuse-Franzia-or-any-other-%22Wine-In-A-Box/

      How-To-Reuse-Franzia-or-any-other-Wine-In-A-Box.jpg

      It says you just twist the valve mechanism out, which I find I can do, but only with a couple of wrenches.  Not by hand.  Either I lack typical adult male hand strength, or my particular wine bag has an unusually tight fit.

      Anybody have any tricks for getting the valve out (short of weight training for added wrist strength or bringing along 2 big wrenches)?

      BTW: The comments section at the link above is worth reading if you are interested in this option. They suggest various ways of getting wine flavors out of the bag.   One person says he/she's used one as an inflatable pillow -- which looks like it should work.  Someone else suggests using the 2.5 liter bags that you get for coffee-in-a-box at Dunkin Doonuts or Starbucks.  Pricey, though, if you don't need a lot of coffee ($20).

      starbucks_b.jpg

      On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 1:21 PM, John <shop@...> wrote:

      Bear cans work great for washing, not so good for drinking water.

      As I mentioned before; wine bags for water. Very light and tuff and free (after you drink the wine!)

      Again, large water containers should be standard equipment as they substantially reduce the number of trips required to the source, thereby reducing impacts to fragile stream side vegetation. With proper water storage you really shouldn't need to make more than one trip to the creek.

      JD
      www.johndittli.com