Snow and Streams

  • Mark Habermeyer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2010
      Just completed the last 50 miles of the JMT yesterday, July 23rd. Did a trip from Onion Valley to Mt. Whitney.  Toughest stream crossing is Tyndall Creek (thigh high).  If you go up stream it is easier. Wright and Wallace Creek streams are easy to cross but you will get your boots wet!  Snow is still an issue on Forester Pass.(North side)  Depending on your skill level it will be challenging.  We used Micro Spikes and Yak Tracks with our poles and found it challenging.  Most difficult part was rock hopping with a full pack and post holing at 10:30 in the morning as there are only 3 uncovered switchbacks at the top with no trail lower from the lake.  I talked to at least 10 JMT South bound hikers who said that Forester was the toughest pass they encountered on their entire trip.  They also said that Muir Pass was the toughest to deal with the amount of snow that is still there. (6-8 miles continuous snow travel).  It was amazing beautiful out there so have a great trip!