Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: WC question

    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 23, 2010
      I'll second John D's comment about packing out TP as "not that hard".

      A discussion on this forum earlier this year shamed me into finally carrying out my own toilet paper.  I had given myself a "pass" on that aspect of "pack it in; pack it out".  I am just back from a short trip with a six year old.  I did carry out my TP this time (she didn't need any), and it wasn't all that unpleasant.

      But for my next trip (Aug 2!) I think I'll bring a pair of tweezers for the purpose of picking up the TP and putting it into the baggie.  I'll keep the tweezers in the same pocket with my TP so it's handy.  Though it was less unpleasant than I had always imagined, the tweezers should eliminate most of my remaining squeemishness about it.

      I tend to carry a number of snack-size baggies with pre-measured things, so as I travel I accumulate lots of empty snack bags (and a few larger empty freezer bags).  I think the plan is to use one snack bag per TP episode and drop them into a pint-size freezer bag as they accumulate.

      My apologies to the faint of heart for the graphic nature of this e-mail.  Maybe I'm over-sharing.

      On a related issue: I've also tried to get in the habit of "pack it in; pack more out."  I'm not about to pack out other people's TP, but this time, I found someone who had abandoned a 5-liter box of Merlot, unopened, five miles and 1700 ft. elevation from the trailhead.  I couldn't drink all of it, and didn't find anybody to share, so 4+ liters went into a dry creekbed and the box came out with me.  Can you picture packing in an extra 10 lbs of something, and then ditching it?  Takes all kinds.

      On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 9:54 AM, John <shop@...> wrote:

      Also as mentioned earlier in this thread and previously on the forum, do your best to pack out TP and other hygiene products (it's really not that hard).