RE: [John Muir Trail] What to expect weather and water wise Aug 11 - Sept 1

  • robert shattuck
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21, 2010
      if you count on the water situation to be anything like it is in normal years, it'll be fine––and this year it should be even better, with all the snow. On the JMT you're never far from water, except for a few stretches––one being  a good stretch from the cones to  duck lake junction–– and the SB's going up and over Bear Ridge area, but otherwise plentiful water. I would take more than one nalgene though as you never know how thirsty you'll be.

      There's also no water from, essentially, guitar to the top of whitney, so if you plan on staying up there, bring extra. But again, we might have a good bunch of snow still up there, providing a few nice snow melt trickles.

      Bob

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: brink_nathan@...
      Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 13:32:49 +0000
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] What to expect weather and water wise Aug 11 - Sept 1

      We're hitting the trail Aug 11, and I was wondering if anyone has anything to share on how the weather will be on the trail and what the water situation will be like? Will there be enough water on the trail to just get by with a Nalgene or will I need to pack a bladder to extend the range?