Foot Tape Challenge Update

  • Jim Underwood
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2010
      I tried the following on my feet, here are my thoughts:
      1.  Regular duct tape- I found this to come off my heels after about a 2 mile rigorous stretch of trail.  I will take some for other repairs, but not use for my feet.  Doesn't breathe. Adhesive is fairly weak when wet.
      2.  Athletic Tape (white roll, similar to boxing hand wrap tape).  Breathes ok, but the adhesive stinks.  It fell off after about 3 hours on the heel without shoes and without major exercise.  I probably won't take.
      3.  Omnifix- Very soft and breathable.  Adhesive is pretty good.  I wore this for 2 days on my heel (the other had Leuko), including a shower and some major cardio and hill climbing with boots on hills.  The positives: lighter weight than Leuko, softer feel if you already had a blister, breathes well.  The cons: makes extra trash (as it has a peel off backing), takes a larger volume of space to pack than Leuko (whole roll vs. whole roll) but lighter in weight, and it also took a good amount of time to dry after my shower (without shoes).  This tape did fall off before Leuko (which was still on my heel pretty firmly at the time).  I don't think this tape will be as durable in hot weather, where you feet might sweat or with crossings. It might be better to wrap an injury (cuts).  I will likely bring a foot or two.
      4.  Leuko- Very tough feel, durable.  Adhesive was excellent.  I wore this under the same conditions as the Omni.  This won the challenge.  I am not sure if this would be as breathable, but it does dry fast and for me is my first choice for any blister prevention.  The boot slides well over the tape. This can also double for injury stabilization needs.  I will likely bring a whole roll.

      *Note: I did not use tincture of benzine in any of these tests, though I bought some.  It seems very, very sticky and will really make sure any tape is on very well.  One drop and my fingers were sticking together nicely.  Leuko and tincture and my feet should be nearly bullet proof.

      Hope this helps!  Jim