Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Alcohol stove on the JMT

  • Carole Warner
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18, 2010
      Fantastic bb.  Thanks for the feedback.  In the past I've only cooked in the evenings for my dinner and occasionally a hot drink afterward.  But I may want hot drinks and a hot breakfast too if it gets cold out there, so I'll plan to bring more fuel to accommodate that.

      I use a Packa Feather alcohol stove and love it, because it's the only alcohol stove (other than some of Tinny's at Mini Bull design) that has an adjustable flame, and Tinny's requires that you put out the stove to adjust the wick (I suppose you could use a knife blade to increase the flame with a tug on the wick, but I doubt that would work to reduce the flame), while the Packa Feather adjusts with a tiny cam that's very easy to use.

      Anyway, once I get things boiling, I can turn it down to keep things simmering, or even use it to bake things using Tinny's technique (see his cake baking video).  It also has a small dousing cap and a clever way of recapturing the unused fuel, so there's no waste.  Finally, all the little gadgets that come with it all fit under the little plastic lid that comes with the stove to keep everything together and secured in place.  I love it!

      On my AT thru I only used about a half an ounce of fuel a day, even though I routinely allowed food to simmer awhile or even cooked a two part meal.  For example, making polenta first, and then boiling up more water to cook the chili to go with it, etc.  With the Polenta, I found that if I brought it back up to a boil after adding it to the pot, allowed it to simmer for 2 -3 minutes, and then slipped it into my pot cozy, it cooked up beautifully.

      http://www.packafeather.com/xlstove.html