Re: [John Muir Trail] Partners for July/Aug?

  • Vera Lehmkuhl
    Message 1 of 10 , May 19, 2005
      Ok I have to ask...what kind of boots were they?
      vera

      JimSerio <jseriopublic@...> wrote:
      Jeff,

      Granted they were new (to me) I had spent a month and a about 140
      miles breaking them in (day hikes plus to/from work). I meant new in
      the way that I hadn't worn boots for about 10 years.

      Should I have broken them in more? Maybe. But I had decided to take
      them about a month beforehand and picked up a pair and did my best to
      break them in but I guess it wasn't enough. Or the boots were just
      garbage. I need to find the photos of both soles peeling off. After
      only about 300 miles?! I still need to return them to REI :-)

      Jim

      Message 2 of 10 , May 19, 2005
        Catra,
        thanks for comments...I think they'll be ok too...they fit very well...how have you found the soles to be as far as grippiness on dirt/mud/slippery rocks? Also, has the fact that they are not Gortex bothered you...what do you do about rain?

        Catra Corbett <catrarunner@...> wrote:
        Hi Vera-

        The Hardrocks or the Highlines are the best choice by Montrail for the JMT. That's what I train in the High Sierras.
        You will do fine with the Hardrocks. Thats what I will be wearing. I of course will have to mail out a pair of extra shoes this year to Muir Ranch. I will be doing 636 miles. i like to change my shoes after 300 miles.
        I do run for the Montrail/Patagonia ultrarunning team, so I would suggest only Montrail. They're the best.

        Last year I did notice tons of hikers wearing Montrail trail running shoes. Good luck and have fun.

        Cheers,
        Catra

      • Catra Corbett
        Message 3 of 10 , May 19, 2005
          Hi Vera-

          They are the shoe of choice at one of the hardest hundreds. The HURT 100 in Hawaii. It is hot humid wet, slippery with moss covered rocks. The sole is awesome. The Mt. Mist is a new gortex shoe by Montrail. I wear them even when it doesn't rain. The problem with gortex. if you do go through a stream they will stay wet forever. The Hardrocks dry out pretty fast.. I wear gaiters, they help to keep your feet from getting soaked. here is a link to my friends website she makes gaiters.
          http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com

          Cheers,
          Catra